PDA

View Full Version : Cam shaft kit?? 1.6 turbo Nova

MrSilicone
14-03-07, 10:56 AM
Hi All,

Im currently in the middle of my project nova, its a 1.6 Gte and ive just purchased a courtney turbo conversion kit, but what i was wondering what Cam Kit would be best for this application?

all help would be greatly appriciated.

Regards Mark

london_chris
14-03-07, 10:57 AM
i would contact coutney and ask them if i were you mate as its all dependant on how you set it up

Stuart
14-03-07, 11:10 AM
id rather phone vauxhall for advice on that cam than courtenay lmao....

I would get in contact with CatCams (or a uk spplier) as they can make up a cam to suit your needs for the same cost as an off the shelf cam kit they do.
This will entail a cam with MINIMAL exhaust/inlet overlap at TDC of the intake stroke , a fairly agressive opening ramp to get to max lift with smaller cam durations (which will more than likely lead to having a solid lifter profile)

If your going to do the job you might aswell do it properly.
What did you get in the kit? Do you care how long/well it lasts? etc etc

SUP4NOV4
14-03-07, 11:38 AM
Ive been after a turbo and manifold to fit my 8v, no luck yet, what is in the kit as im not sure how the oil return setup is in this conversion.

Stuart
14-03-07, 11:55 AM
mvaux do manifolds for this use... but their quality etc has been a little ropey of late..... your call. google them.

SUP4NOV4
14-03-07, 03:28 PM
Nice one any idea about the oil return i would just weld a tube into the sump bit dodgy!

craig green
14-03-07, 03:32 PM
The std cam is fine with that kit. I had a Courtenay cam & the std one actually feels revvier.
I'm sure you could create a proper cam spec to gain some power, but as the turbo is quite small & boost pressures will be modest I dont think there is much need for it.

A barbed fitting put as high as poss in the sump is OK. I think Courtenay braze it in IIRC.

MrSilicone
15-03-07, 12:54 AM
Ive been after a turbo and manifold to fit my 8v, no luck yet, what is in the kit as im not sure how the oil return setup is in this conversion.

Theres an extra part that screws in2 the oil filter and has the oil return on that, the oil filter then screws into the new part. have everything inc such as manifold, T2 turbo, dump valve, air pipes, fifth injector, throttle body, intercooler, custom downpipe. etc etc.. found the kit though ebay although it is a courtney conversion kit

and in reply to stuart, id like it to last for ages, i want the power but not at a realiablity cost. cant be doing with breakdowns.

Stuart
15-03-07, 08:46 AM
then as craig said. use the STD cam for now, if you dont want to pay for the custom item as yet (ie see what you get with the kit and go from there)

imho the way the fuelling is dealt with isnt the best (ive been accused of slander for the term bodge in the past lmao), and for a long term solution mappable management is the best way forwards with that...

craig green
15-03-07, 09:14 AM
5th injector.... what engine is it going on?

MrSilicone
15-03-07, 10:20 AM
5th injector.... what engine is it going on?

1.6 GTE ENGINE??? WHY? SO ITS STANDARD CAM FOR NOW?

WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY THE FUELING STUART?

Stuart
15-03-07, 11:07 AM
the 5th injector lark isnt the best way of doing it, nor is the pressure switch method either.

Adam
15-03-07, 12:25 PM
Your going to need some form of management to control a 5th injector?

Ideally, junk the 5th injector idea.
And fit aftermarket management, fully mapped up to sort the fueling when on boost.
Or the cheaper way of doing it, is the dual rate fuel pressure regulator.

craig green
16-03-07, 01:58 PM
GTE wont need the 5th inj. The bosch L jetronic will pump enough fuel if needed. The 5th injector is for use on the C16SE motronic or rochester equipped cars.

Standalone management is best if you are hoping for it to last or want to do a good job & see proper power.