PDA

View Full Version : noises

Jon_nova1
13-03-07, 07:41 PM
ok, after i've fitted the skimmed head i got..skimmed so much the cambelt is now looseish, now theres a clunk noise, but its only when i accelerate hard (in my garage in neutral) if i gradually accelerate it doesn't happen, i drained the lifters, i changed the oil but it needs another change as some crap from the previous head gasket failure is still there.

would this be because the lifters arnt charged yet, engine was running for around 10 mins? or could this be because it needs an oil change?

any other idea? it sounds like its top end i think

ste porter
13-03-07, 07:47 PM
**** blocking oil ways and under high demand cant deliver enough oil where its needed?

run low on oil previosly (sp) and posibly damaged shells or other such like componants?

is the nois a constant clunking or just a single clunk if its a single it could be the engine rocking and part of it nocking on the body ect

ste porter
13-03-07, 07:48 PM
could even be valve timing out due to loose belt and valves fouling pistons (bad news belive me i have been there it makes a mess)

Jon_nova1
13-03-07, 07:49 PM
it never made the noise previously, the noise only happens fr around half a second when you press the throttle hard, otherwise it sounds normal

i was thinking it could be fouling valves, but its only happening on one cylinder (camside i think)

ste porter
13-03-07, 07:52 PM
sounds daft but make sure the exhaust manifold isnt blowing where it mates with the head because it makes a sound like your describing under hard aceleration

check all nuts are tight and theres no cracks in the manifold

Jon_nova1
13-03-07, 07:57 PM
hmmm, well i was too lazy to change the exhaust manifold gasket, its blowing from the manifold to downpipe so i couldn't see it coming it leaking from the cylinder lol

mikey14sr
13-03-07, 08:11 PM
try running on a bit of super, if it goes away or gets quieter it's down to pinking

Jon_nova1
13-03-07, 08:22 PM
i'll try that, its running low on petrol so will visit BP ;)

Adam
14-03-07, 12:00 PM
Yeah, a blowing exhaust manifold gasket can cause a tapping sort of sound.

If the belts loose, just tension it more with the pump?

Jon_nova1
14-03-07, 01:36 PM
after taking it out for a drive, it happens under load, accelerating, really loud like a chattering, could this also be the oil pump on the way out?

yer i tightened the belt with the pump ;)

Adam
14-03-07, 03:05 PM
Sounds like pre-ignition, which can be caused by too high compression ratio..(big skimmed head)
Like shaking a marble in a tin sound?
Under load(going up hills)

Altho i dont think you would get that revving in neutral, as theres no load on the engine.

What engine is it?
Does it make the noise at the engine speed every time?

Jon_nova1
14-03-07, 03:19 PM
it sounds abit like that, but more solid sounding

its a 1400, and does it at the same engine speed, but revving in neutral it only happans abit, and yes it makes it everytime, seems louder in fourth/fifth

Adam
14-03-07, 03:21 PM
Sure its not just something like the exhaust manifold heatshield, exhaust heatshields underneath the car etc...

Jon_nova1
14-03-07, 03:23 PM
im sure, its definately a solid chattering sound, seems in time with the engine, theres no heat shields on it, and its alot louder than a heatshield

SUP4NOV4
14-03-07, 03:23 PM
It sounfs to me like the belt timing is out,if the belt is lose the when you plip the throtle for even a split second the crank isnt moveing in sink with the cam as the lose belt is causeing play between the two and the valves will be hiting the crowns (pistons) causeing a loud taping sound, it wount relly happen when your just easeing the gas as there would be no sudden jolt.If the ignition timeing is out then yes it is noticeable under load this is a metalic sound loke a sort of ticking, i hope this is a help.

Jon_nova1
14-03-07, 03:30 PM
i've tightened the belt, and it sounds the same as before i tightened it, it sounds like what your describing in neutral, but thats it, the rest of the time it makes a really loud chattering/ticking, i think i blew the head gasket too in a couple of hours as theres water coming out of the exhaust, so something isn't right:confused:

Jon_nova1
14-03-07, 06:00 PM
i've decided to put 2 headgaskets on it..tomorrow lol