PDA

View Full Version : Loud tapping first thing on morning

Anonymous
07-11-01, 09:22 AM
Last couple ov mornings with the first start my car has been making a loud tapping noise 4 no longer than 30 secs any ideas? Its always the same your car runs fine till u start to think about the next mod then summat else goes wrong! (its all good fun)

Twitchin like a pigs eye!

Anonymous
07-11-01, 02:36 PM
mine does it now cause the morns are gettin colder.What it is, is oil runs down out the lifters and it takes a few mins for the engine to lube them back up. well thats wat i fink it is:)

Anonymous
07-11-01, 03:48 PM
hows the oil pressure at idle?

Anonymous
07-11-01, 05:01 PM
my oil pressure is always bouncin off the scale when i first start up, my oil pressure is always very good never had a problem wid that m8, Pukka does it disapear every time, does it tap 4 the same amount ov time every morning? Mine seems to tap then gradually gets quieter as if it's slowly gettin lubricated.

Daz9124@aol.com

Anonymous
07-11-01, 05:50 PM
yer it does disappear when the car warmed up because the oil is pumped up the top. Youll find that it might do it longer if its v.cold. If it just des it in the morn and goes when the cars warmed up i wouldnt worry bout it. As i said id say its due to te fact the oil has run down the engine, so give ur engine a min or so to let it pump the oil up the top b4 u drive off.

Anonymous
07-11-01, 08:12 PM
question is, why does the oil only run down when the engine is cold? you wanna check the lifters as they may be on there way out. it may get to a point when the tapping never stops cos they can hold any oil.

Anonymous
08-11-01, 01:15 AM
My (oops..now got two Novas...right which one, oh yes..) Antibes (1.3 SR engine) does this at first start-up...not for long though...like said above, the oil can drain out of the tappets when it's been off for a while, but pressure should build up quickly if your engines as it should be, as the noise should soon disappear.

The type of oil you use makes a difference too.....too thin, and it'll run away quicker, making more noise at start-up. I'm running GTX Magnetex for basic engines, which is supposed to stick the engine components better, so you get less damage at start-up until oil-pressure is built up. I don't know if it makes a great deal of difference.....I may be better with a slightly thicker oil...it may make it quieter at start up?
Don't know...

Anonymous
08-11-01, 04:31 AM
i also notivced that when i used magnetec is was much quieter on startup!!

Anonymous
08-11-01, 09:53 AM
Seems to be a fairly common problem so ill not loose any sleep over it, Cheers 4 putting my mind at rest looks like i can still go ahead wid this months mods then!! yipee!! :>

Daz9124@aol.com

Anonymous
08-11-01, 08:51 PM
Its worn valve train components and lack of initial lubrication made worse by poor oil feed & everything remaining colder for longer when started up.
Change your oil more often (6k miles).Take the sump off and check that the mesh in the oil feed pipe is not clogged otherwise you will be starving the cam and it will wear out quickly.

Anonymous
08-11-01, 09:26 PM
I'll do just that CP.....the Antibes needs a new sump gasket, so the sumps got to come off anyway.