PDA

View Full Version : Rear brake problem.

Welsh Dan
11-03-07, 11:41 PM
Today I changed the drums, shoes and wheelbearings both sides. Torqued up the castle nuts then slacked off as instructed in Haynes etc.. when I brake the pedal feels spongier and travels further, and I get a wobble from the passenger side that isn't there when I'm not braking. I'll be pulling the drums off again tomorrow anyway to paint them and replace the handbrake cables, but just incase the problem isnt glaringly obvious, is there anything I should be looking for?

staggy_gsi
12-03-07, 07:59 PM
not sure about the wobble but did you adjust the shoes up so that they are just trailing on the drum slightly?

SRI crazy
12-03-07, 10:26 PM
the brakes would feel spongy until the shoes get bedded in you mayb hav one side slighlt more adjusted than the other and that would give you a wobble, check that ur wheel bearings are still tight incase they have loosened a bit to

Welsh Dan
12-03-07, 10:26 PM
Yes I did (today). Took the drums back off, replaced the handbrake cables. Sheared off the adjuster nut to I had to get a new one, adjusted the shoes, stuck it all back together and whilst the handbrake was fine, and it drove around with no odd noises from the back, it started to shake a lot under medium braking and when coming to a halt while braking. Its at the garage now because I won't have time to fix it this week now :(

Welsh Dan
13-03-07, 06:32 PM
Apparently I'd put the adjusters together incorrectly, but the shaking/shuddering was from manufacturing flaws in the drums. I'll be taking the bearings back out, stripping the paint off and asking for a refund methinks.