PDA

View Full Version : Camshaft Slap (Sticky Valve?)

Anonymous
04-11-01, 10:46 PM
Hence the subject of this message, after driving at high speed on the motorway for about 20-30 min, pull off the motorway - VERY prominent ticking from the camshaft housing on my 91' 1.4SR (52K). Engine off for 10 mins, ticking (slapping) noise gone, engine running ok again.

I've spoken to a few mates who advised me that although not an immediate problem ; it is terminal unless something is done ASAP.

My possible choices (so I see it):

1. Strip head of the car, replace any worn valve guides, valves, springs + etc, screw back together and hope for the best

2. Take engine out and sell, buy a Corsa 1.6 16v small block engine, replace engine and tank + loom (ecu) on a budget of about 300-400 GBP pounds (Am I correct with budget?)

3. Leave the engine as it is, drive the car like an old man for about 3 months until the engine blows itself to pieces and feel shit about it for ages.

Bearing in mind 2 other things:

1. When inspecting the camshaft with the oil filler cap removed, no swarf found (as I expected if the camshaft was smacking a valve stem)

2. I am 21 in Jan 2002, so insurance wont kill me.

3. I'm a student with very little money.

I've tried to keep this as concise as possible, I'd appreciate any assistance or advice.

TIA

Toby

P.S. The body+interior of the car is A1.

Anonymous
05-11-01, 12:25 AM
well, dont think any of you points r appropriate m8.
1) I dont think it will be a valve, Id say you have a cracked piston ring. Not too mcuh of a drastic problem. But your engine might breath heavily.
Your engine might be running lean which cuases pinking. But more likeyl to be the other unless your running 40's!
2), u have no chance of doing a 1.6 16v conv for that price. Ull be looking at ?800 for the lot.
Engine ?400-500
Tank+pump ?60+
air filter (corsa bozx doesnt fit ) ?60
Fuel lines and connectors ?40
Exhaust. anything from ?100-?300 for something simple

Anonymous
05-11-01, 07:53 AM
It doesn't sound too serious at all. If you give your car a good thrashing, it would have to work hard to get the oil around the engine, and it sounds like the hydraulic lifters are being starved of oil. Try an oil change and flush using decent quality oil, at worst you'll need to change your lifters which aren't too expensive. Don't let it keep happening or things will get worse. Make sure the oil pathways are clear and it will solve the problem.

Dicko, if it was a cracked piston ring, it would be ticking constantly, you'd get huge crankase pressure and you'd burn more oil than your old engine.

**Why take 16V's onto the track when u can use 8?**

Anonymous
05-11-01, 04:29 PM
lol, not exactly. My 1.3 had a cracked piston. Didnt smoke at all. But if u give it 10-15 mins at high revs it would tick until it cooled down!

Anonymous
05-11-01, 04:30 PM
piston ring*

Anonymous
05-11-01, 09:34 PM
Don't panic - try an engine flush 1st. Put a thicker (15W40 or 15w50 ) oil in to see if it helps the oil pump to maintain pressure.
The fact that the noise stopped is ground for optimism and you could well be OK

Anonymous
06-11-01, 06:08 PM
Thanks guys,

I'll have the head off the engine at some point to confirm whether or not a piston ring has gone.

The oil is due for a change soon, I usually do it every 6000 miles to keep it clear. I think the best thing from now until the next installment of my student loan is to keep the engine revs down below 3.5k

Thanks

Toby