PDA

View Full Version : 1093 miles and one f*cked turbo later

Philsutton
11-03-07, 04:22 PM
well ive just finished running my engine in an the last few days i had started to open it up properly. I had just got it pretty much set up spot on and was running about 20psi on the brand new turbo I had. Well last night during a full boost run it let go in 4th gear at full chat. There was a massive bang the car filled with smoke (couldnt even see out the front window), the turbo had decided it was going to play. The turbo must have just stopped dead an thus popped off the oil pipe an spray oil all over the nice glowing manifold. Never seen so much smoke come out of a car before lol. After taking the down pipe off i discovered about a litre of oil in the exhaust system as well, great.

After stripping it down it looks like one of the blades had failed on the exhaust side (had a bubble in the casting) an then took the rest of them, and then bent the shaft an thus mullered up the compressor side blades up as well. Luckyly though i think the intercooler took the brunt of the mashed up turbo parts, so hopefully the engine itself is still ok. Just what i need on a freskly re buiut engine.

The turbo itself wasnt a genuine garrett, didnt realise until i had actually paid for it but i confident it would last longer than a few minutes. I dont have any money an have to find some to now buy a garret one which i might add arent cheap. :(

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v286/philsutton/Photo-0052.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v286/philsutton/Photo-0051.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v286/philsutton/Photo-0050.jpg

also looks like the exhaust side blades have melted a little, which is very worrying as due to my wideband ive got fitted the engine has never run lean and should never have got enough hat to do so.

Shocking **** turbo that was probably made by a small african child.

Dar
11-03-07, 04:29 PM
Ouch!! Thats not good news at all. I have to say this for you Phil, when you decided to break something, you tend to do a thorough job.

Philsutton
11-03-07, 04:33 PM
Oh yes, I can break things other people will never be able to. One thing i got to say was its actually cracked the cast casing into about 3 pieces as well. An that doesnt happen very often i would have thought.

rc
11-03-07, 04:36 PM
oh dear! looks nasty! what turbo was it running?

Martin
11-03-07, 04:37 PM
ouch..

draper
11-03-07, 04:37 PM
jesus, if it wasnt for bad luck you'd have no luck !! hope you get it sorted pronto :thumb:

bump
11-03-07, 04:38 PM
Thats a real pain.
Your not having much luck with this one at the min. It's not your daily as well is it?

Things will look up mate.

Mazz
11-03-07, 05:06 PM
Ouchy, looks a reet mess :( Maybe an TB'd XE with gas is the answer?

R1CH
11-03-07, 05:10 PM
Looks a bit dodgy, what turbo is (was) it ? one of them XS Power jobbies off Ebay ?
You sure that nothings failed in the engine as shaft wheels don't normally just fall apart !? if the engines ok then it must've been pretty **** quality for the shaft wheel to fall apart to start with but for it to bend the shaft enough to make the compressor wheel to catch enough for it to also fail & for the crack to core ... its pretty shocking !!
Good luck with sorting it anyway.

Rich

Adam
11-03-07, 06:12 PM
Christ, nasty :(

Hopefully the massive lack of oil(from the leak) hasn't damaged any engine parts.

Philsutton
11-03-07, 09:16 PM
Well i took the actual shaft apart to have a better look, its not like im going to ruin anything because its all mullered anyway. Was shocked at how bad the casting was for the oil way, to be honest with this much damage i cant really say what was the starting point or what let go first on it. Ive seen the oil casing on a turbo get this smashed up before, it was in about 20 pieces.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v286/philsutton/Photo-0055.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v286/philsutton/Photo-0054.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v286/philsutton/Photo-0053.jpg

rc
11-03-07, 09:20 PM
oh dear, bits!! what turbo was it?

Philsutton
11-03-07, 09:27 PM
Dunno didnt have anything stamped on it. Was a T03e /T04e or something along those lines

R1CH
11-03-07, 10:06 PM
Whoa ... thats pretty mad, with Turbos every day at work but never seen one let go like that !!
Deffinatly go with Garrett next time !

Rich

dan16v
11-03-07, 10:10 PM
doh unlucky mate! but spose you get what you pay for alot of the time!

Rick Draper
11-03-07, 10:41 PM
also looks like the exhaust side blades have melted a little, which is very worrying as due to my wideband ive got fitted the engine has never run lean and should never have got enough hat to do so.

Phil that is probably caused by the **** material used in the casting of the wheels.

Are you going for a Genuine Garrett now? What sort of spec?

kronk10
11-03-07, 10:46 PM
I feel really bad for you mate seeing as you opened it up coming to drop something off for me:cry::cry:. Car looked and sounded amazing to really hope you get it running mate its a beast of a car:thumb:

Philsutton
11-03-07, 10:54 PM
Phil that is probably caused by the **** material used in the casting of the wheels.

Are you going for a Genuine Garrett now? What sort of spec?

The whole thing seems to be made from very poor material. Im looking at the GT28rs at the moment. Only thing about that is I have t3 flange on my manifold yet these seem to be T25 which is what i changed it from.

Pillar
11-03-07, 10:54 PM
gutting mate thats ruined ouch!

Rick Draper
11-03-07, 11:00 PM
The whole thing seems to be made from very poor material. Im looking at the GT28rs at the moment. Only thing about that is I have t3 flange on my manifold yet these seem to be T25 which is what i changed it from.

Yep that is what i did. I chopped the T28 flange off and fitted the T3 one.

www.precisionturbo.net are very good in the US.

Matt2107
12-03-07, 10:05 AM
Unlucky Phil... I'm confident you will have everything sorted out fairly soon though.

craig green
12-03-07, 10:17 AM
GUTTING.

Hope you sort it!

Philsutton
14-03-07, 10:46 PM
Ive just been looking at The GT30 series :D, may get one of those bad boys instead.

stuartp
14-03-07, 11:22 PM
hope you get it sorted phil i aint normally into turbo cars but theres something about yours!!
Fingers crossed it get fixed cheaply!!

Rick Draper
14-03-07, 11:34 PM
GT30's are good. Will see how mine performs shortly on one and go from there. I can see a GT35 looming though......