PDA

View Full Version : Cam

Anonymous
05-11-01, 04:05 PM
I have the head off of my engine at the moment, its in being skimmed and cleaned up and I'm having the valves replaced and the seals done etc etc.

While the head is off, i'm thinking about a different cam. What are your opinions on replacing the cam with a better performance one. Is it worth it ?

If so, what sort should I get and what will it cost me ?

The engine is a 2.0l 8v cav engine, with K&N and exhaust.

Anonymous
05-11-01, 04:33 PM
Get a fast road cam. Make sure its not a rally cam or it will be almost undrivable around town!
If the engine has done quite a few miles you will need to get a cam kit. Ull be looking at ?250 for the cam kit.

Anonymous
05-11-01, 06:13 PM
I personally like Piper Cams, had it on my RS and it changes top end power immensley!

Piper BP285 ...the cam itself for a 16v is around ?350 (differs) and the kit a little bit more ... should be a little cheaper for an 8v.

This is a fast road cam.
duration is important ...check out www.pipercams.co.uk more explained there.

Anonymous
05-11-01, 10:00 PM
I've tried a 270 and 280 piper in my 1.68v.
I prefer to drive flat out and the 280 gives a lot more at the higher revs. Its fine around town but to get the best you need to change gear more often to keep it in the higher rev/power band.
Damian if you are going to the expense of having the valves and everything replaced why don't you get some bigger ones put in and some porting done? You won't regret it and you'll get a greater performance gain from the cam.

Anonymous
06-11-01, 10:29 AM
If you want the ports done Damian, give me a call. If you want to see the guys work, he is working on an rs turbo head at the minute, and he's doing a pucka job. I'll take you over to see it if you want.

dan69_gsi@hotmail.com
dangsi@novaload.org.uk

Anonymous
06-11-01, 10:51 AM
I'd say piper too. I've seen both the fast road and the rally cam in action. I would definately go for a rally cam from piper. It gives a hefty chunk of extra power and loses little mid range grunt. CP's car (with rally cam)idles just as well as mine and is equally driveable through town and I have a mild cam.

**Why take 16V's onto the track when u can use 8?**