PDA

View Full Version : Seam Welding

Anonymous
02-11-01, 05:27 PM
I was considering trying to seam weld my own engine bay but iv not had much experience with welding as yet. Can anyone answer a few questions on what is best to use.

Iv got some flux core wire, which from what i understand doesnt need gas to operate. I also have some thinner stuff, i thinki its .6mm. And i have a CO2 gas bottle. The welder is a MIG 150amp.

1). Which wire is best and with what gas.
2). do i use it on full power, or turn power down a bit?
3:) how the bloody hell do ya seam weld, tips anyone?

Cheers

I will have a car with no rust that works someday :)

Anonymous
02-11-01, 06:01 PM
Use the 6mm stuff with gas. This way you'll get a lovely weld. Keep the weld feed motor at a slow speed and build up the weld with the heat. You should be able to move the moulten weld about if it is hot enough (power).

I practiced on old exhausts etc before doing my engine bay and that turned out pretty well.

Have the power on about medium to start but play about with it first on some scrap metal because this may not be perfect power. You don't want to have the power too high though or you may get holes in the work piece.

Make sure that the surfaces that you will be welding are shiney bare metal. (use a wire brush bit on a drill or wire brush bit on an angle grinder)

Then get practicing.

Anonymous
02-11-01, 06:17 PM
cheers, iv been welding things together in the garage as practise. Jus wanted to know exacly howto seam weld really. i herd about knocking seal apart, over lapping, knocking 2gether with a chisel then welding it agin?

Anonymous
02-11-01, 06:25 PM
The top part of the chassis rail on each side do you mean?

I knocked the seam together by lightly hammering together with a chisel. And then you get a good seam to weld.

Anonymous
02-11-01, 07:14 PM
dunno if this is the answer you want or not but you should weld an inch leave an inch weld an inch leave an inch, we did my gte like this to the same spec as a group a nova

Anonymous
02-11-01, 07:19 PM
o right cheers ant, didnt know that. suppose its less work and time if u do that :)

Anonymous
03-11-01, 09:57 AM
quote from grp a prep book (lol i had it with me on sunday dicko you should have asked for a look) "The bodyshell, now free from all unwanted items, can be cleaned off in readiness for the seam welding and strengthening operation. All exposeed body seams throughout the bodyshell that are actually spotwelded in the production process require further "stitchhing", preferably with a MIG-type welder. This entails making an additional 25mm run of weld every 35mm along EACH visible body seam throughout the bodyshell, and applies equally to the underside, underbonnet and bulkhead areas. However, the lower flanges of the frong chassie rails where they join the inner wheelarch require special attention. Using wither a spotweld cutting tool or drill bit, carefully cut through ONE THICKNESS of the seam in between each production spotweld and fill hole with weld, forming a "puddle weld". In addition to this operation, certain areas require further reinforcemant by welding on additional, specilly profiled mild steal plates" etc etc etc for another page!!!

16v Nova - Toolkit, Trouble, Points and great expence all come as standard :)

e reg shell almost gone!!

Anonymous
05-11-01, 03:44 AM
Danny's got the book that tells you all about making a group a nova. Ask him if you can borrow it.
Mingle

Don't believe anything i say!!!!!