PDA

View Full Version : # Plate in Bumper HELP

Anonymous
29-10-01, 09:19 AM
Spoke to my garage bloke ...said I should get my car back b4 Christmas! (dont know whether I should be happy about that ..but at least I'm gonna get it back!)

HE SAID I CAN'T RECESS NUMBER PLATE IN THE GSi REAR BUMPER AS PLASTIC WELDING WILL MELT THE BUMPER...
Said it only works with carbon bumpers, or fibreglass ones ...
WHAT DO I DO?? HAS ANYBODY DONE IT TO A GSi BUMPER BEFORE (PROPERLY) & HOW IS IT DONE?

Cheers!

Anonymous
29-10-01, 09:39 AM
yes, brett w has just had it done, he needed 2 bumpers, cos vaux plastic is different.

also look at howell jones on feature cars again its been done.

and louise on here has just had a recess put in hers but not sure if by plastic welding, but the other 2 deffo did, so he's talking crap cos he cant do it.

Anonymous
29-10-01, 10:17 AM
Sid, Iv'e done it on mine mate. If you drive past my house you will see it coz my car is on the front drive. heres a link to a photo of the back of me mota about 6 months ago, it';s changed alot since then mind you. But the bumpers still the same.

http://members.tripod.co.uk/performance_nova_uk/damian.htm

Anonymous
29-10-01, 03:19 PM
use a window box plant pot for a handy plastic recess, just right for a rear number plate

Micky@novaload.net :)

Anonymous
29-10-01, 03:27 PM
Why does my garage bloke think it'll melt the bumper?
He is supposed to know his stuff (he actually knows everything else!)

Micky, Would the box plant go into the bumper?

Damian, how did u do yours?

Anybody got Brett W's email?

I wanna find out ALL the ways of doing it, so I can tell him!!
Thanks alot.

Anonymous
29-10-01, 03:59 PM
I cut the shape out and fibre glassed in a new piece that I made up, I also moulded some astra number plate lights in the underside to light the reg plate. It has been fine. The only problem is if you hit anything with the bumper the fibre glass cracks as you probably know its not very robust. Hence mine needs re fibre glassing coz I broke it !! DOH. But it was easy enough to do.

Anonymous
31-10-01, 09:42 AM
I dont want the hassle of fibre glassing ...may get a few knocks!!

ANYBODY GOT BRETT WARBURTON's EMAIL PLEASE??

Anonymous
31-10-01, 10:37 AM
yeah, but he didnt do it, it was done in a vauxhall garage that painted his car.

Anonymous
31-10-01, 12:56 PM
yeah ov course they do

2 ov the local png lads have done theres

its just a lot easier then cutting a recces out from another car (why do that when u can buy a ready made recess in the shape ov a window box plant pot?)

take a number plate into b&q and get one that fits

if the box is slightly 2 small then trim your numberplate to fit

Micky@novaload.net :)

Anonymous
31-10-01, 02:28 PM
tell me more please...

1. get window box plant from B&Q
2. cut out shape from bumper?
3. put the box in, with number plate at back
4. What would you use to adjoin the plant box to the bumper, and get make the joinery all smooth, as if it were factory done??

Thanks

Anonymous
31-10-01, 08:11 PM
sounds like damien done his the same as mine, with fibre glass, my fella did it - i know it was quite easy to do!

all he added was a gap for the number plate light to fit...looks fine :)

Anonymous
01-11-01, 02:04 PM
It does look good, I agree... but dont want fibre glass if I can help it.

May get a slightly smaller than usual number plate from gtgrafix.co.uk for the rear box plant thing... gotta do my measurements first.

Anonymous
03-11-01, 05:21 PM
Micky,
I bought the following from B&Q:
2 shelf dishes for pot plants, sizes:
400mm length x 110mm height, 36mm depth
550mm length x 150mm height, 36mm depth

Number plates are legally 520mm x 110mm

First of all is the depth enough???
I can get number plates smaller from gtgrafix, but if I were to use the 400mm size, it would mean the writing being a lot smaller (basically taking out size of one letter, and making it all fit in that space)

Or what else shall I do?
Cheers m8.