PDA

View Full Version : Tick-Over Problems?

Anonymous
04-11-01, 12:24 PM
I have a 1991 Nova GSI. The problem I have is that when I take my foot off the throttle the revs stay at about 1500-2500. Sometimes when the car is just ticking over the revs will start to rise by them selves. But when u rev it hard they go back down to idle.

Has anybody got any ideas?

The car has got a 57i kit and a powerboost valve. But the car did this b4 they were fitted aswell.

The car is in mint con. and has done 50,000 miles. thinking of selling it how much should it go for? It is running
120bhp with a massive spec list.

Anonymous
04-11-01, 01:40 PM
120bhp?? do u have the rolling road print out to prove it?

as for the fault, faulty airflow meter or idle valve or tps

16v Nova - Toolkit, Trouble, Points and great expence all come as standard :)

e reg shell almost gone!!

Anonymous
04-11-01, 04:12 PM
powerzone 120bhp or standard 120bhp?

Anonymous
04-11-01, 05:22 PM
mine does this too. Its pissing me off bigtime. Also when I turn the engine off it usually runs on a second or two. My garage said it was the carb (1.4 sr) but he replaced that and its still doing it.

Anonymous
04-11-01, 10:09 PM
My 1.2 runs on when I turn it off. My garage replaced all kinds of crap and he said that the only thing left to replace is the carb. I don't want to pay for a new one cause the engine is going to be removed in the next 6 months to a year for a bigger one so I will make do.

Anonymous
05-11-01, 08:38 PM
Running on in older carbed engines can be due to excessive carbon deposits which smoulder & provide ignition to air fuel mix sucked in after the ignition has been cut often made worse by the engine running too hot. Excessive carbon is a mixture of coking, oil from up the bores and/or down the valve stem seals and possibly the engine running over rich. It might be worth trying an engine de-coke additive to the fuel?? Otherwise its an overhaul

Anonymous
05-11-01, 08:41 PM
Running on in older carbed engines can be due to excessive carbon deposits which smoulder & provide ignition to air fuel mix sucked in after the ignition has been cut often made worse by the engine running too hot. Excessive carbon is a mixture of coking, oil from up the bores and/or down the valve stem seals and possibly the engine running over rich. It might be worth trying an engine de-coke additive to the fuel?? Otherwise its an overhaul

Anonymous
06-11-01, 01:15 PM
My GTE also has this fault. I've replaced the idle air valve, coasting valve and cleaned all the pipes for both. Cleaned the EGR valve but it still has this fault somtimes (often whilst the in traffic jams). I've made sure the throttle butterfly is closing. I gave up in the end, the only thing i didn't try was the airflow meter (this also has air temp. in it, so maybe it's the cause)

Anonymous
06-11-01, 01:15 PM
My GTE also has this fault, idling at 2500 RPM then droppping back to normal. I've replaced the idle air valve, coasting valve and cleaned all the pipes for both. Cleaned the EGR valve but it still has this fault somtimes (often whilst the in traffic jams). I've made sure the throttle butterfly is closing. I gave up in the end, the only thing i didn't try was the airflow meter (this also has air temp. in it, so maybe it's the cause)

Anonymous
07-11-01, 11:48 AM
I have the rolling road figures proven. It was done ADC Rolling Road in nottingham.
Thanks for all the help guys.
:D

Anonymous
07-11-01, 11:48 AM
I have the rolling road figures proven. It was done ADC Rolling Road in nottingham.
Thanks for all the help guys.
:D