PDA

View Full Version : sr engine swap

Anonymous
26-10-01, 01:46 PM
i crashed my 1.3 sr and im abought to get another (1,3 sr), a cheap one thats done 120,000, would it be easy to swap the engines over?
i have no experience in engine stuff.
also i hit mine straight on (lamp post) the radiators blown etc. will my engine be oright?

Anonymous
26-10-01, 02:23 PM
Just a case of unplugging all the wires and hoses, etc and reconnecting them into the new car.. Its even easier if you change everything, e.g. the suspension, gearbox, etc, that way you can just take everything out in one go, and swap the lot.. The Haynes manual will tell you haw to unbolt everything.. You'll need an enigine crane though, and possible a couple of mates to help with realigning the engine.. Change the radiator! ;) Did anything actualy hit the engine?

Hope this helps, if you need any other help mail me at cheese_k279@hotmail.com

Good Luck!

Ben :D

cheese@novaload.org.uk

Anonymous
26-10-01, 05:13 PM
Engine crane? Its only a 1.3 u pussy!!! I think its posible to swop the engine without removing the box. If you are going to swop the box aswell, it means doing the ball joints and getting driveshafts out. Also the gear linkage etc.
Dont forget to make sure you have all the wires/hoses/exhaust out of the way before you take the mount bolts out, and that the engine is suported!!

Anonymous
26-10-01, 07:37 PM
if u are doing it through the top u have to pull back the main shaft in the gearbox (it's all in the haynes
p.s. 1.2 4speed - 1.4 5speed conversion took me 4 hours (at night!!)

16v Nova - Toolkit, Trouble, Points and great expence all come as standard :)

e reg shell almost gone!!

Anonymous
26-10-01, 09:05 PM
yeah i normaly just drop them on the floor and jack the car right up som i can pull the engines clear

stick a the new engine underneath and jack it up into the engine bay

1.3 lump isnt that heavy

get the boys round to give u a hand with sum rope and stuff

Micky@novaload.net :)

Anonymous
27-10-01, 12:22 AM
yep same way as micky says thats how i put my 13 & 14 engine's in my cars

[-itchscratch.gif-]
www.perpetualbliss.net

Anonymous
27-10-01, 02:23 AM
Dead easy which ever way you do it.

Can be done with the gear-box still in, so no probs there...like Ste says, you have to pull out the drive-shaft (as in Haynes).

I used an engine hoist 'cos I had no way of jacking the car up high enough to take out from below, so it was the only option.
The swap took about 3 or 4 hours if that.
The actual time to take the old one out, and get the new one in was about 15 mins...all the extra time was piping, wiring, setting up etc etc.

Anonymous
27-10-01, 03:35 AM
put it on stands then jack under the engine unbolt etc drop the jack 1 mate to lift the car up other drag engine out. if u want i have a 1.6 head and a 1.4 bottom end which will go straight on it is complete as a whole engine at the mo make it a tad faster.

Anonymous
27-10-01, 11:40 AM
HHmmm, well when i did my 1.3, i got the 1300 engine out without touching the gearbox, and would have got the 1.6 in if it hadint been for the bogger bell housing!!

Anonymous
27-10-01, 11:29 PM
my gearbox is fooked, i.e. first gear is where second is, nuetral is further back still, can't get reverse ect. does this mean drive shafts ect. are useless??????