PDA

View Full Version : 1650 dilemma

Anonymous
26-10-01, 08:20 PM
Right here's one for ya, i got a fully sorted 1650 motor but i aint happy yet, It is built for torque but has 158bhp ( by the rollers i use as some vary) The cam is an nvo 62 with a range of 1500-6000 and is a 270 degree cam, i have got 2 options left as i dont wanna valver
1. get a 290-300 degree cam and fit solid lifters and have the limiter raised to 8000-8500 ( bottom end is motorsport spec)
2. get the ignition fully remapped and have the existing power more useable and smoother and possibly release abit more.
I think the second would be better as the power is from the bottom all the way to the top but i aint sure as the prices are about the same??? :-/

Anonymous
27-10-01, 12:12 AM
3D mapping, u know its the way forward m8

B-) Streakers beware: Your end is in sight B-)

Anonymous
27-10-01, 09:46 AM
Right, not sure the ignition will satisfy your needs, but its always worth doing.

I'm in the sam situation as u at the moment. I have so much torque that I wheelspin in 4th in the wet, yet the power tails off over 6500rpm and the peak power is down on what it could be. The first option you mention is one way of changing the charecteristics and is one I have contemplated, but I possibly would go that wild with the cam. Another member (CP) has a road/rally cam giving him about 10bhp peak over me, and it shifted his power band up so that it pulls alot harder once past 7,000rpm. The other option is to change the choke size in your carbs. If you go up a size and re-jet accordingly, you will increase volume of intake, but decrease speed of intake therefore decreasing low down torque and increasing peak bhp considerably. The whole power band should move up. What size chokes are u running? Its the sort of thing you have to play with. If you keep the old chokes and jets, you can chop and change according to driving needs. I think I might do both, then at track days I can play around and find the best setup for each track.

Ickle footer! :P

Anonymous
27-10-01, 10:00 AM
cheers MC but i have had the chokes (dont know wot size) in me dellorto's tinkered with cos if you adjust the angle of flow very slightly you can improve torque and bhp, I seen em machine them and the results were there when refitted, the guy that does my motor has raced these engines for the last nine years and has found a couple of wierd and wonderful things through development. But wont tell me how to spend me money just gives me a few options.

Anonymous
27-10-01, 10:11 AM
im runnin 32mmchokes in my 40's and the power is smooooth all the way through. but its pants down low revs till i get to bout 3000rpm cause thats when the cam kicks in. duration on my cam is 290deg. used to have 270deg cam it was a ast1 by kent i fink it was totally shite, this new cam wiv the 290deg defo made a diff, i was pleasantly surprised;)ive only got a 1.4sr by the way

Anonymous
27-10-01, 10:32 AM
If it was'nt for the fact of getting the power down and making it more usable, the cam i have got might be ok cos you aint got to wait for the power delivery, stamp the pedal and its there bang, full power and spin. (useful against turbos :D on a dry day)

Anonymous
27-10-01, 01:20 PM
Sounds identicle to mine. Don't spose u could find out what choke size u have for me could u. Just take a trumpet off and slide out the venturi and choke, and it'll be stamped on there.

Ickle footer! :P