PDA

View Full Version : Solid Lifters Valve Clearance Adjustment

grpArallye
05-03-07, 01:28 PM
Hi All,

First post, New user...

Just wondered if anyone had any experience with what the exhaust and inlet valve clearences should be on a 1600 E16SE lump? Im running solid (adj) lifters, however, I may have to change the cam spec to something less aggressive (and nearer standard) to the cam that came with the engine when I got it in order to be able to get the engine through inspection.

I know that with a standardish cam hydr. lifters are probably the best option, but the rest of the head and engine are totally specc'd and going to be pretty impossible to downgrade it? I tried using 0.15 and 0.25 for ex and inlet but seemed very tappetty any suggestions? Was hoping someone might have tried before and have an easy answer, rather than the dreaded trial and error method! lol

Backgrd of engine is as follows:

Managed to get myself a front cut of a rolled ex Grp A Nova sometime ago with an aim to building a grp A / N car to rally..

Have more or less finished refreshing the engine E16SE 1600 lump, huge spec, including standalone management:

bottom end:
cosworth pistons, shot peened deseamed rods, arp bolts, lightened flywheel etc..

top end:

Stage 3 head, serious port work, uprated springs, retainers and solid lifters, reworked inlet manifold.. etc

Cheers for your help guys!

Stuart
05-03-07, 01:46 PM
didnt you get the clearence settings with the new downgraded cam?

i belive the settings i had for my solid profile cam was about 0.2mm

its going to be a bit tappey when cold as the space is for when hot the gap closes ;)

grpArallye
05-03-07, 02:53 PM
unfortunatly not as I picked it up off a friend and is a slight regrind of a standard profile to give a slight increase in duration.. I'll try adjusting the clearance to 0.2mm all round and see if that makes much of a difference. I suspect it will.

Cheers

:)