PDA

View Full Version : F18/F16 Final Drive Swap - changing the pinion

_JH_
05-03-07, 11:02 AM
I am putting an F18WR cluster into my F16CR as I need a longer 2nd gear.

The final drive is 3.55 (71/20) at the moment, but the pinion on the F18WR cluster is only 19 tooth which would make it 3.74 - which I don't want.

I'd only ever stripped the F10/13 etc before and was a bit gutted to find the pinion is part of the mainshaft.

Can I strip the gears from the F18WR mainshaft and rebuild them onto the F16CR mainshaft? Then use that mainshaft in the F18WR cluster?

If someone knows it'll save me stripping it to find out.

Thanks

Stuart
05-03-07, 11:14 AM
"should" be able to, but you need to measure the F18 and F16 shaft diameters to ensure compatability......

i hope your chaging the crown wheel too ;)

_JH_
05-03-07, 12:28 PM
ok, cheers stuart I'll give it a go. Will definitely measure the shaft at every opp to make sure they're the same.

No need to change the crown wheel if I'm using the original pinion and shaft, or have I missed something?

Stuart
05-03-07, 12:50 PM
ahhhhhhhhhh im with you, you just want the F18 gears on the F16 shaft.... ;) no need to change the crownwheel then

_JH_
05-03-07, 02:13 PM
while we're talking about stripping gear boxes, have you any suggestions for removing the 'detent plugs' apart from cutting/drilling etc?

I've managed to strip most of the old f16 cluster by leaving them in, but can't get the 5th gear selector rod out no matter how carefully I try to push the plunger up inside. Plus I'll probably need to take them out to put it back together anyway.

This is another arguement for small blocks, easier final drive swaps :mad:

Stuart
05-03-07, 02:19 PM
when i fully stipped an F13 down the rods jsut moved out of the way with suitable wiggling/pushing etc....

maybe the F16 is the same... i dont know. ive not got a vast ammount of big block box experience.

_JH_
05-03-07, 03:22 PM
ive not got a vast ammount of big block box experience.

me neither unfortunately lol, I'll post up how I get on.

cheers :)