PDA

View Full Version : converting a vectra 1.6 16v engine to carbs

uk_
28-02-07, 07:34 PM
thinking about getting my veccy converted to carbs till i get a 3ltr to put in it ,
what would a ruff cost be also what parts would i need and where could i get the parts?
also would this be the best place to start with the engine mods as its totally standard except a ramair breather

hightower
28-02-07, 09:33 PM
twin 40s are about ?300 quid minimum i think for the pair of carbs, need a new inlet manifold, new air filter housing etc and also a different distributor, from a 1.4 engined nova or something similar on carbs, you'd then need to worry about engine lights ect coming on and all the rest! sounds like a bit of a chew if your puttin a 3ltr in? !

uk_
28-02-07, 10:03 PM
eventually hats what my plans are but the wife uses the vectra daily so not sure shel be to happy about it

Jon_nova1
28-02-07, 11:18 PM
you just want to convert it to carb??

if its injection you'd need a carb, a standard 1.6 carb would be easiest, available of an old 1.6 astra, along with the inlet, i think the ports on the cylinder head are round, while the carb inlet would be square, it'd match, just not very well, you'd also need a carb distributor for the vacuum advance, and although not essential, either a mechanical pump or a regulator to stop flooding the carb

Adam
01-03-07, 12:29 AM
Not much point tbh.
Just run it std if waiting for another engine.

You would need aftermarket management to control the ignition side of things, as you can't get a dizzy for a 1600 16v engine.

dannyb
01-03-07, 12:34 AM
Would a Cat equipped Vectra be able to pass the MOT if it was running on a carb? Surely it would be difficult on the emissions?

Adam
01-03-07, 12:36 AM
Carbs will kill the cat in no time.

The only way it would pass is if the car the engine is in is pre 1992.