PDA

View Full Version : Separating gearbox/engine for removal

Iain
28-02-07, 01:00 PM
How do you get the engine around this part protruding from the gearbox? If I try and hoist it up with it in the engine gets wedged on that and the side of the engine bay. There doesn't seem enough room to manouver the engine around it also.

http://iainel.co.uk/images/forums/Engine.jpg

Adam
28-02-07, 01:15 PM
Its the box input shaft.
You need to remove the end cover to the gearbox and pull the input shaft out, but iirc you need a few special tools, 12spline socket etc.

Hmmm, if your not really interested in saving the clutch etc, you could unbolt the clutch off the flywheel, with the clutch removed that may give you just enough space to get the engine out.

Iain
28-02-07, 01:16 PM
"Have to" meaning I can't remove the engine without doing this? I somehow doubt I have the special tools lol

Adam
28-02-07, 01:19 PM
Try unbolting the clutch off.

I dont think you can get the space with the input shaft not removed. It is mentioned in the haynes removal guide too :p

carls nova sri
28-02-07, 01:35 PM
undo the gearbox mounting it should push back enough to get out

Iain
28-02-07, 02:04 PM
Cheers both of you. Removed clutch and it came out fine. That'll teach me not to read lol

Benn
28-02-07, 10:24 PM
just lift them both out in one go...

unbolt the mounts,
lift the engine so the box is point down at a 45deg angle.. then lift up and out..

Jon_nova1
28-02-07, 10:27 PM
you can take the engine of the box like that

is the flywheel cover plate still on?? its on the underside and is held on with 3 10MM bolts, to get the engine of the box you could jack the gearbox up as much as possible, then take it off, also you could remove the alternator pulley

Adam
01-03-07, 12:31 AM
He's sorted it now.
He just unbolted the clutch.