PDA

View Full Version : thermostat location?

benny f gsi,n it
28-02-07, 11:59 AM
hey i need to change my thermostat on my 1990 nova gsi and im stumped at where it is located? any help espicaly pic would be great!!!!
Ben

jord4n
28-02-07, 12:10 PM
when looking at the engine bay from the front of the car, on the right hand side of the engine (timing belt) side, look for where the top hose from the rad goes into the head, when the rubber hose stops this is the thermostat housing,

this need removing to replace the thermostat,

which means bottom pully off, belt covers and timing belt, tentioner and water pump bolts undone to release the timing belt.

hope this helps, can you tell im bored at work.

jordan

Adam
28-02-07, 12:38 PM
As above.
Its quite a job to remove it as the belt, covers etc etc have to come off.
Whereas on earlier engines they didn't.

benny f gsi,n it
28-02-07, 01:57 PM
yer i was hoping it wasnt there! ohhhh well means a nice big job then thanks all the same boys!

Adam
28-02-07, 01:59 PM
Fill the system back up with coolant before you put the belt etc back on.
As if you find the thermostat housing is leaking coolant you've got to rip the whole lot back off again.
Speaking from experience,Lol.

benny f gsi,n it
28-02-07, 02:16 PM
ohhhhhhhh ok cheers

Stuart
28-02-07, 02:36 PM
just cut a hole in the coversfor the stat housing :D

and use tons of silicone to seal it. and none of these things are problems anymore lol

jord4n
28-02-07, 03:00 PM
one more thing, when everything is off and you can see a hole in the head where the thermostat sits,
its worth while flushing the system out with out a thermostat in there as this will flush the block out too.

jordan

Lee
28-02-07, 04:15 PM
Always a good idea, gets rid of any sludge!

And you dont actually need the bottom pulley off, you can bend the cover back enough at the top to get at the stat once the vernier and the top two screws are removed.

Youll need a star drive by the way.

Timmy
28-02-07, 04:24 PM
left side of car facing it ?

Lee
28-02-07, 04:25 PM
left side of car facing it ?

is that where your cambelt is?

benny f gsi,n it
28-02-07, 07:56 PM
if you are looking straight at the engine under the bonnet yer the cam belt is on the left had side!