PDA

View Full Version : Vista

Lee
28-02-07, 12:13 AM
Anyone using it yet?

Have to say im quite impressed, very fancy and smooth, although the smoothness is no doubt due to the fact that i upgraded my ram from 512meg to 1.25gig lol I also love my little 'rev counters' telling me my CPU and RAM usage. Just on idle Vista is using 412meg of ram lol. HUNGRY!

Im just waiting for the first crash, but first impressions are good. I kind of fell out with XP after it desided it wasnt going to let me look on the internet anymore... ever!

Dar
28-02-07, 12:20 AM
XP with a bodykit...nice lol
When that little rev counter hits the redline prepare for the crash:thumb:

I was going to abuse you like normal but, to be fair it looks nice if you like flashy things. I see no need to upgrade from XP at the moment. Messenger is hit and miss on Vista at the moment though. Im sure iTunes doesn't work either IIRC. But thats probably Apples anal software.

Im still going to wait until my version of XP right royaly goes FUBAR or until im happy that Vista is stable enough (Read 'been out for a little while').

:D

Jack
28-02-07, 12:20 AM
Thats why I upgraded to XP - W98 decided the internet shouldn't be allowed lol

Still not convinced about Vista though, as with most MS stuff I'm in the school of thought that says you should wait a year or two for them to fix all the bugs first!

burgo
28-02-07, 12:21 AM
i like the look of it from the demos ive seen but i think i gonna wait awhile for them to iron out any teething probs first

Geth
28-02-07, 12:34 AM
I kind of fell out with XP after it desided it wasnt going to let me look on the internet anymore... ever!

Exactly the same thing happened to my old PC just before christmas so I chucked it in the bin and bought a new one. Shame it couldn't have held on a few more months, I could have had vista included with my new one.

412 Meg is huge! Does that include anti virus and firewall software running as well?

Geth
28-02-07, 12:37 AM
Still not convinced about Vista though, as with most MS stuff I'm in the school of thought that says you should wait a year or two for them to fix all the bugs first!

I don't really see the need now that they use automatic update. Although I'm sure they will have halfed the price of it by then.

Jack
28-02-07, 12:42 AM
Yes but automatic updates require a geniune version of windows lol

Lee
28-02-07, 12:45 AM
Mine is a genuine version of windows. It just happens to be a genuine trial version of windows lol

jkhilton
28-02-07, 07:33 AM
I have it running on one of my systems as a media server. It works great with the 360 and streams movies/music/pics(with a little addon software for divx/xvid etc) to my 360 wirelessly all with the nice media center interface. It's still not as good as the original xbox for streaming, but it does the job for now.

I've had it on the system for almost 3 months and in that time the system hasn't had to be rebooted once. Admittedly it just sits there and doesn't get used apart from the streaming side of things.

I did have it on my main pc for a while aswell, but that soon got replaced with XP again as I have a few progs that dont want to work on vista yet.

london_chris
28-02-07, 07:37 AM
when was vista released? i didnt think it was yet, ill have to aquire a free copy lol

Jack
28-02-07, 08:24 AM
Have you been living in a hole? Its been all over the news as well (BBC's report was nothing but laughable though, a clear backhander from Microsoft there) lol

wisewood
28-02-07, 08:34 AM
I've not used it properly yet - had a bit of a muck about with it in Currys though. It's just a poor, expensive immitation of Mac OS X.

If you've never used Mac OS X go into Currys and play with both side by side and you'll see for yourself. Microsoft has just ripped off the whole thing, including the "gadgets" that they've ripped off from Mac "Widgets" lol

I wont be upgrading to Vista until such time as I replace either my desktop PC or my laptop, when I might as well buy off the shelf kit and get vista bundled with it... though that said, when I replace my laptop, I'm getting a Mac anyway.

Stuart
28-02-07, 08:52 AM
as woody said. Its like OS X (which i really really like since going to the white side and getting a mac) but performs like win 3.1 lmao.

Ill be buying a copy of win xp pro now its bound to be peanuts and putting that on the mac for dual boot stuff. other than that linux is my new server os lol

Novadex
28-02-07, 09:15 AM
Ive used both systems my whole life, Mac os and Windows. I can confidently say mac is the better Os, as its more user friendly and alot less buggy. As with all new Microsoft software, its going too be bugy untill its been out for a while and people have made different fixes and patches. I have a copy of vista and i uninstalled it about a week after becuase it diddnt like me, ill wait untill some other tit sorts it all out for me lol

Matt2107
28-02-07, 09:22 AM
Recently buying a laptop I decided to opt out of Vista and searched out a model running XP.

As Jack said any new software is going to be full of bugs so best left for the first couple of years if you are particular about getting reliability from your computer.

I've heard that some broadband software ie virus protection/firewalls don't work with Vista, Messenger programs, games... the list goes on.

The graphics do look quite nice on Vista.. but we're entering a world of highly graphically polished applications anyway so its kind of expected.

Lee
28-02-07, 10:07 AM
I agree, Macs OS is better, they dont get viruses blah blah blah..

But lets face it, theyre a bit poofy lol

Jack
28-02-07, 10:19 AM
I agree, Macs OS is better, they dont get viruses blah blah blah..
Thats partially because they're not as widespread as Windows boxes; if you wrote a successful virus for a Mac you might infect a few thousand machines... where as a Windows virus could infect a few million.

Unix is where its at, none of this memory chundering flashiness, viruses and crap stability lol

Ash
28-02-07, 10:54 AM
Didn't MS steal Apples original OS idea as well? i think im going to have to buy Vista, my XP has found out it has many many brothers and has stopped me using IE7 and WMP11, plus everytime i start up i have to wait 5 seconds to click a button 'Resolve later' not 'Get Genuine' lol

Breeny
28-02-07, 11:00 AM
For end users I think its quite confusing and will take a lot of getting used to.

Other than that, I've heard good and bad things about it.. I'll be waiting for a while until I put it on any system though, just for MS to iron out any bugs.

Stuart
28-02-07, 11:19 AM
its gonna be a big ass iron lol

macs are indeed a bit poofy, hence why i got one :D

wisewood
28-02-07, 11:31 AM
Dell have announced that they may soon be offering their systems with a choice of Linux operating system with open office preinstalled too - meaning the price of buying a Dell would be greatly reduced - no need to pay for a pricey microsoft software bundle with your system.

Awesome news.

Jack
28-02-07, 11:47 AM
I thought Dell already offered Linux on their desktop machines, but it was almost an impossibility to find and order on their website? Haven't followed that one recently though. Dell machines are sh#tboxes anyway :D

Didn't MS steal Apples original OS idea as well? i think im going to have to buy Vista, my XP has found out it has many many brothers and has stopped me using IE7 and WMP11, plus everytime i start up i have to wait 5 seconds to click a button 'Resolve later' not 'Get Genuine' lol
The WGA stuff is a pain but quite easy to get rid of, removed it from my dad's machine a month or so ago. Although, I'm sat on a couple hundred legit XP serial numbers at work - all our laptops come pre-installed with XP, which we overinstall with Unixware!

MS didn't steal Apple's Windows-style GUI, they were originally licensed to use it for Windows 1.0 (after Steve Jobs demonstrated an early Mac OS prototype to Bill Gates). MS then developed the GUI further in 2.0 and 3.0 which lead to Apple accusing them of stealing their ideas and an unsuccessful lawsuit.

wisewood
28-02-07, 12:00 PM
Not anymore - i vaguely recall seeing it as an option a while ago, but i've just checked and "included in the price" is windows vista home basic, or you can pay extra and upgrade to a "better" version.

wisewood
28-02-07, 12:38 PM
http://apcmag.com/5049/10_reasons_not_to_get_vista

jkhilton
28-02-07, 01:43 PM
I vaguely remember reading somewhere about a guy who bought a laptop from Dell with a preinstalled copy of windows on it. He didn't open the licence agreement, called dell and told them he didn't want the software and that he would send it back to them. Dell refunded the cost of the oem copy of XP to him

here's a link....
http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2006Nov/gee20061117040517.htm

wisewood
28-02-07, 02:08 PM
yeah i remember reading about that. I wouldn't mind getting hold of one of the linux web oriented boxes that you just plug keyboard, mouse and monitor into... they look pretty cool. Bit like a mac mini, but more geek oriented.

Ash
28-02-07, 05:49 PM
MS didn't steal Apple's Windows-style GUI, they were originally licensed to use it for Windows 1.0 (after Steve Jobs demonstrated an early Mac OS prototype to Bill Gates). MS then developed the GUI further in 2.0 and 3.0 which lead to Apple accusing them of stealing their ideas and an unsuccessful lawsuit.

Thats is, it's amazing how much i've forgotten about PC's and software. I used to hack most of my games, not i wouldn't have a clue, let alone the advancements in technology.

Saying that, a mate of my housemate who's at uni studying very complicated computer stuff refused to acknowledge that my AMD 64-bit 1.8Mhz was the same speed as an Intel 64 3000+.:tard:

Ash

Lee
28-02-07, 06:09 PM
Thats partially because they're not as widespread as Windows boxes; if you wrote a successful virus for a Mac you might infect a few thousand machines... where as a Windows virus could infect a few million.
lol

Nail hit head!

If a virus writer learned his 'stuff' on a MAC, he'd write for a MAC, but like you said, theres no point. But theyre getting more popular........ wont be long now!

I personally cant wait till the first MACS start keeling over, especially as most users dont bother with AntiVirus software. I shall be sat here giggling my tits off lol

http://elliottback.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2006/07/mac-os-v-for-virus.jpg

wisewood
28-02-07, 06:56 PM
lol@ lazy photoshopping. OS V on the front and OS X on the side lol lol

ps. Just because you're studying I.T doesn't mean you're interested in computers. I know plenty of people who work in I.T at various levels who can't stand computer components, software or games. Just because you see a career opportunity doesn't mean you want to make the same thing your hobby.

I'm doing accounts - but i don't read up on the spec of the latest and greatest calculators.

Geth
28-02-07, 07:10 PM
My calculator can do 60-100 in 0.001 seconds. Apparantly the answer is -40 lol

Lee
28-02-07, 07:55 PM
Just because you see a career opportunity doesn't mean you want to make the same thing your hobby.

I'm doing accounts - but i don't read up on the spec of the latest and greatest calculators.

LMAO, so true. In fact ive noticed that people who do a certain thing as a trade cant be assed to sort their own problems in that area. Me, for example, I install thousands of pounds worth of AV equipment, but have a 25 inch telly and clapped out dvd player. Mechanics tend to drive clapped out bangers, plumbers houses have leaks everywhere etc lol...

Stuarts a good example, if he didn't feck around with car stuff all day he'd probably have finished his nova

wisewood
01-03-07, 08:26 AM
yupp. I've known plenty of people over the years like that. Builders with half finished jobs in their houses because their wife started it and got in over her head and they can't be bothered to fix it etc.

Stuart
01-03-07, 09:15 AM
Stuarts a good example, if he didn't feck around with car stuff all day he'd probably have finished his nova

correct. My job has sacked off my desire to have a hobby... I hate even doing oil changes now lmao.

Ive never really run with virus proctection on any pc, and have only caught IT aids once wayyyyy back in the day. Id sooner nail my bollocks to the floor than use any symantec software as its about as secure as BT's ass in san francisco.

Novadex
01-03-07, 01:47 PM
lol very true, Ive been building for a while now. Never get anything done at home tho

rdanny
01-03-07, 08:17 PM
i was ready to buy a new laptop 1.60 celeron m processor 512 ram.

went to have a proper look, and they have put vista on all of them!!

i think i'm going to have to wait a few more months now as i can see myself after buying bringing it straight home and putting xp on instead just to free up resources

Jack
01-03-07, 08:43 PM

went to have a proper look, and they have put vista on all of them!
LOL that's going to run like a geriatric snail!! lol

Althought its funny... people were saying pretty much the same things about XP when it first came out, how it sucked a PC's resources dry!

At least Steve Gibson won't be having kittens about the raw sockets which XP left wide open. No doubt he'll find something else to fret about though lol

rdanny
01-03-07, 10:07 PM
exactly and no one wanted xp ether. i was gonna double the ram and would have done me ok but sod it now

the point is we got no choice over the next few years, i bet the new one is already scheduled for 2011

Jack
01-03-07, 11:59 PM
"Vienna" is scheduled for 09 iirc

Matt2107
02-03-07, 09:48 AM

went to have a proper look, and they have put vista on all of them!!

i think i'm going to have to wait a few more months now as i can see myself after buying bringing it straight home and putting xp on instead just to free up resources

www.play.com (http://www.play.com)

Acer 1.6 Celeron, 1gb ram, 1gb cache, 80gb hard drive, wireless networking

?449 incl VAT and delivery.

wisewood
02-03-07, 10:02 AM
with vista you have a new ability to have usb memory used as system memory if you like - so if you go out and buy a 4gig usb flash drive you can plug it in, and have an additional 4 gig of ram until you remove it. It wont be as quick as with 4gig of proper ram, but its still gonna make a big difference, for very little money - and VERY easy to do.

Jack
02-03-07, 10:12 AM
www.play.com (http://www.play.com)

Acer 1.6 Celeron, 1gb ram, 1gb cache, 80gb hard drive, wireless networking

?449 incl VAT and delivery.
Expensive for a Celeron IMO. Whats the betting they've also used a PC Chips motherboard lol

wisewood
02-03-07, 11:29 AM
My 1.6 celeron laptop with 40gig hdd and 512mb ram cost ?299.97 from Tesco in July last year. Does the job. Just needs more ram and its vista compatible (allegedly... according to the downloadable test thing from microsoft).

Matt2107
02-03-07, 11:36 AM
Expensive for a Celeron IMO. Whats the betting they've also used a PC Chips motherboard lol

Cheapest I could find. lol

Stuart
02-03-07, 11:52 AM
My 1.6 celeron laptop with 40gig hdd and 512mb ram cost ?299.97 from Tesco in July last year. Does the job. Just needs more ram and its vista compatible (allegedly... according to the downloadable test thing from microsoft).

dosent that just mean that you can install it... not nessecaraly use it lol

bump
02-03-07, 12:07 PM
Just finished testing Vista,

I'm not going to be using it, couldn't get it to work with, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat Pro, Wiring, Max/Msp, Cubase and it got upset sitting behind the SmoothWall as opposed to a direct connection to the net.

wisewood
02-03-07, 03:10 PM
Kev has today experienced problems getting Vista and the latest version of Office 2007 to play together. If they can't make theirs work, you've no chance of getting 3rd party stuff to work with it.

SHUN VISTA. Until the next one is launched.
I only upgraded to XP about 8 months ago lol

bump
02-03-07, 05:14 PM
I'm trying to get the Adobe CS2 suite to work fully under Linux then it's bye bye to Mr. Gates for me.

Otherwise I'll have to wait for CS3, being a Win / Lin release.