PDA

View Full Version : slight vibration one side

Anonymous
08-10-01, 09:09 PM
My merit has develloped a vibration slightly on one side all of a sudden when running.
Passenger side seems to be the problem.

WHen i corner to the left and the car leans a little the vibration stops until its back level again.
Its only slight but i can feel it through the pedals and steering wheel.
Also it seems to create quite alot of noise in the car - just like normal noise from driving but louder...
what could this be?
cheers peeps.

Anonymous
08-10-01, 10:04 PM
Wheel bearing? CV joint? Drive-shaft?

It going to be something along those lines.

BTW Wisewood.....what's your Nova look like? Since you're around Sheff, I may have seen you about without realising it!

Anonymous
09-10-01, 01:30 PM
CV joint i got the same problem. Its on my passenger side and only happens when i turn to the right. It sounds like i'm on a train.
Mingle

Don't believe anything i say!!!!!

Anonymous
09-10-01, 02:56 PM
how much is it gonna cost to get this sorted?
not got the know how to do it myself.

Anonymous
09-10-01, 04:42 PM
sounds like a wheel bearing to me take it to a garage and get it check you dont want it giving up when you are driving along and writing off your car it it is a wb or cd boot they are about 50 each to fix so not really gunna brack the bank but if you dont get it done soon and they give in that will be big money

Anonymous
09-10-01, 05:18 PM
righty ho then.
cheers chappies.

although 50quids will break the bank at the moment.
but i spose its either 50 quid or the nova.

Anonymous
10-10-01, 03:26 AM
well, jack ur car up, wiggle wheel side to side, then up + down. Tell us which fels loose then we can tell u wot it probly is!!

Anonymous
10-10-01, 02:24 PM
Neither feels loose.
A bloke at work said it could be a calliper sticking a bit (alot) and as the problem seems to fade slightly under braking could this be right?
If so what do i do about it?

Anonymous
11-10-01, 12:33 AM
Yep...could be the calliper as you say.....mine used to vibrate a bit, which was the near-side calliper sticking, combined with a slightly warped disk. If it was, it would be worse under braking though, and it'd probably be the same whether cornering or not. Since you say vibration stops when cornering to the left, I'd say it's more likely to be one of the aforementioned.

On my old Nova, one of the CV's was on it's way out, and it made a loud clunk clunk clunk noise when going round a roundabout! (like being on a train as Mingle said). Since you say it's a vibration, I'd say the wheel-bearing is still the most likely, as I never got any vibration with the dodgy CV.

Anonymous
11-10-01, 06:50 PM
outer cv joints are bout ?35 and should only bang when on full lock

[-flash.gif-]

Anonymous
11-10-01, 08:24 PM
i think it is a bearing on one side - theres a MASSIVE WHIRRING NOISE with it now...
similar to when my mums fiesta bearing went only on mine its much louder.

Anonymous
13-10-01, 01:47 AM
I think bearings whir when ur goin in a straight line. CV joint on knocks/clonks when the wheel is turned 9doesnt need to be on full lock if getting bad).