PDA

View Full Version : ok..

goldengraham
27-02-07, 06:06 PM
is there anything i should do to the car etc...
before i put my nova in the garage for a while, tax has run out from tommorow, and dont have the money to re-insure it to get the tax etc... so gonna be saving my pennys for a while whilst the nova sits in the garage

cheers :)

flashbang
27-02-07, 06:24 PM
seal it all

dannyb
27-02-07, 06:31 PM
To lay it up for a while, or do you mean jobs to do to it (like fit a new engine?)

If your laying it up, give it a good clean, dry out any moisture from the boot under the carpet and make sure theres no water in the battery tray. You could chuck a pillow case with about 200g of silica gel in the boot and some smaller ones in the footwells to keep the interior from smelling damp, also leave the windows slightly open if its a secure garage. If its going away for a while, it might be worth draining the coolant out of it, (not sure if you'll need to do the oil) ,although if its convenient, try and run it up once a week. Cant think of anything else to do, Im sure someone else can give a few better helpers.

Novadex
27-02-07, 06:43 PM
And dont forget to SORN it!

Ash
27-02-07, 06:51 PM
http://www.novaload.net/forum/showthread.php?t=67814 that should help a bit

goldengraham
27-02-07, 07:34 PM
cheers, will do all that, also i will SORN it lol, is it best to start it up every other week and leave it ticking over for a while, battery is already dead on it, so looks like im gonna be buying a charger on the weekend???
lol

goldengraham
27-02-07, 07:37 PM
To lay it up for a while, or do you mean jobs to do to it (like fit a new engine?)

If your laying it up, give it a good clean, dry out any moisture from the boot under the carpet and make sure theres no water in the battery tray. You could chuck a pillow case with about 200g of silica gel in the boot and some smaller ones in the footwells to keep the interior from smelling damp, also leave the windows slightly open if its a secure garage. If its going away for a while, it might be worth draining the coolant out of it, (not sure if you'll need to do the oil) ,although if its convenient, try and run it up once a week. Cant think of anything else to do, Im sure someone else can give a few better helpers.

also
i mean lay it up, eg, store in garage, not move for a few months, should i start it up regularly?

Matt2107
28-02-07, 09:33 AM
I'm not really sure that it matters about starting it up every few weeks.

I started mine the other weekend after 2 years of being dormant.
All it needed was a fivers petrol and a new battery.

By the way if you have petrol in there and plan for it to be there for a long time you may as well drain the tank and give it to someone as the quality of the petrol will break down.

Stuart
28-02-07, 09:54 AM
fill the engine (and i mean FILL) with oil to the brim but dont forget to drain it all out before starting it again.

either put the car on axel stands, or inflate the tyres to 40psi

Lee
28-02-07, 09:55 AM
A few dishes half full of salt works wonders at keeping the damp away.