PDA

View Full Version : Doors

Martferguson
27-02-07, 01:18 PM
What is the easiest way to get the doors off of a nova?

Martin

Matt2107
27-02-07, 01:27 PM
Cheapest or easiest.

Easiest... angle grind into the door skin and cut the hinges.
Cheapest.... get a spare bonnet stay and cut it down a bit... it's the perfect diameter to knock the pins out.

Alternatively... spend ?10 on a crap tool that breaks and bends.

Edit: The pins can be a complete bitch to get out.. or come out very very easily.

Martferguson
27-02-07, 02:44 PM
would it work by using a flat head screw driver and trying to knock the pins out with a hammer?

i've got de-locked and de-handled doors and want to fit them!!!

also do you know any easier ways to get the main window in? we have got all the rubbers in but cannot see how the window will fit in there!?!?

Martin.

Matt2107
27-02-07, 03:39 PM
The pins are made of a piece of sheet metal that is curved with one edge left open. Basically they are slightly too big so when you put new ones in the leading edge begins to enter the hinge part and squashes down slightly. As you tap the whole pin closes reducing the diameter to exactly the size of the hinge hole.

Essentially you need something that is exactly that diameter.
A flat headed screw driver would work if its the same size. Just chop the end off.

I can't remember which one it is but there isn't much room to tap it.

I think when I did my windows last I had stripped everything off the door, rubbers, grey metal strips... basically the lot.

The glass has a slight curve which makes it feel like it wont fit but you just have to keep rotating it slightly to find the best way.

Matt2107
27-02-07, 03:42 PM
Also it's best to replace the pins with new ones and put plenty of grease on them. Oh and make sure your completely done with the door off before you put it back on. Trust me..... you won't want to do it again in a few weeks time.

I took the opportunity when my doors were off to paint the insides with underseal. Will hopefully help stop them going rusty from the inside out.
You need to make sure the drainage holes aren't blocked though.

Iain
27-02-07, 03:43 PM
Just in case you didn't know, you're supposed to tap the top pin downwards and the bottom pin upwards. To get some more room to the top one I bent the top of the door outwards (obviously wasn't keeping the door). I think I used a bolt with the right size head to push it through.

Matt2107
27-02-07, 03:47 PM
Just in case you didn't know, you're supposed to tap the top pin downwards and the bottom pin upwards. To get some more room to the top one I bent the top of the door outwards (obviously wasn't keeping the door). I think I used a bolt with the right size head to push it through.

Knew I'd forgotten something.

Seriously though... don't bother getting the draper tool. It's pants. I've used it on 4 pins and it's bent to **** plus the little heads that screw onto the shaft (ooo err missus) have started to round off already.

Jack
27-02-07, 03:50 PM
To remove the window, take everything off (rubbers, the metal spar, etc) and wind the window down. Wind it back up, but tilt it (backwards I think) and you should be able to slide it off the runner, and up out the door.

Haynes Manual has good instruction on this.

loggyboy
27-02-07, 04:46 PM
i spent ages trying to use screw drivers and drifts and hammers to get mine out.
one lash of wd40 and one of these :
http://www.toolsinstock.com/images/uploads/54585_DPRK.jpg
and they were out in a few mins. (just needed a 2nd person to take the weight off them.
http://www.toolsinstock.com/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=4

Matt2107
27-02-07, 04:54 PM
That's the draper one that I've bent and rounded.
Mine were hard to get out. lol

craig green
27-02-07, 04:55 PM
I can recommend the bonnet stay approach.

Now part of my tool kit.

loggyboy
27-02-07, 05:08 PM
The tool works fine, if you use it right.... 'bad workman...' and all that jazz

tom reid
27-02-07, 09:14 PM

Only a tool that has never removed siezed doorpins would say that lol

draper
27-02-07, 09:37 PM
i did mine the "baxter" way

cooltom31
28-02-07, 10:48 AM
dont see why the bottom pin has to be knocked up as i knocked mine down the way.

Matt2107
28-02-07, 10:57 AM

Bit of a t w a t really aren't you.

Only a tool that has never removed siezed doorpins would say that lol

I'll second that.

craig green
28-02-07, 10:59 AM
dont see why the bottom pin has to be knocked up as i knocked mine down the way.

Me too, had to snap some of it off though IIRC

rednova
28-02-07, 06:16 PM
the bottom pin catches on the door iirc just the same as the top one going up over would

you can use the large screwdriver / hammer method if you want - ive never tried the bonnet stay method - sounds handy

ashtal
28-02-07, 06:47 PM
The BEST way to get the hindge pins out is:

Get a bit of of 1" byt 1" box tube (thick stiff)

Cut a bit about a foot long

Run a hardstone grinder into one end through both sides of the box tube

Keep Taking a little off until you get a snug fit on the pin

oh, the cut out wants to be about 1cm deep.

Made one of these about 7 years ago and its still in use. It even removes fiesta hindges, and anyone who has done them will tell you how much of a bitch they are !

Iain
28-02-07, 06:58 PM
the bottom pin catches on the door iirc just the same as the top one going up over would

Yeah I knocked the bottom pin down on a door once. It bedded itself in to the door and made a hole in the metal. A bit of filler and respray and it was fine (you don't really see there anyway) but I wouldn't recommend doing that if you want to keep the door.

novalovingned
28-02-07, 07:14 PM
that draper tool is crap, i was being very very careful with it and it still brokelol

the bonnet stay method sounds good tho will have to try it next time:thumb:

Jon_nova1
28-02-07, 10:23 PM
i wouldn't use a screwdriver, because if the screwdriver goes inside the pin it would be pushing sideways aswell as downwards, so would be difficult

and when i took a door off, i didn't need the shell, so took a grinder to it lol

benthehash
01-03-07, 08:00 PM
as said the tool add some wd40
one side two minute peice of piss
other side nearly two hours a bloody finger loads of bad language and another tool after i broke the first one and the jobs done!