PDA

View Full Version : Brakes work better when cold????

Anonymous
08-10-01, 11:01 AM
ive noticed that in the mornins when i start my car and drive off the brakes seem to be alot sharper but when the car warms up the dont feel as sharp. is it cause when ur car warms up the air is hotter therefore when the servo takes the air from the inlet it dont work as good??? iam confused. is there a way where i can make my brakes how they are in the mornin or when my cars cold all the time:-/

Anonymous
08-10-01, 11:02 AM
cooler discs stop quicker....i think.

Anonymous
08-10-01, 04:37 PM
There's an optimum temp for brakes to work at their best....not too hot or cold is best, but it varies. Brakes won't usually work as well when they get too hot, which is why vented disk were in"vent"ed lol :D
When brakes get really hot, they can start to glaze over......which is what causes brake-fade.

It depends on your brake pads too though...some work better at higher temps than others.
It depends on the type of brakes too, e.g. Carbon-fibre brakes don't work at all when cold, so racing drivers have to get 'em nice and hot before a race.

What pads are you using? What disks?

My Nova used to suffer a lot from brake-fade under heavy use, but it's been a million times better with vented disks.

Anonymous
08-10-01, 07:19 PM
Dicko says :- Ur brakes work best in the morning becuz they have oxydised (bit of rust). Obviously rust is alot more abbrasive than smooth metal surface. Until the 'rust' has worn off ur brakes will b alot sharper.

On the other hand if u use ur brakes alot like around a track, and ur using standard pads u will tend to get brake fade, which is galzing on the pad due to extreme temperatures. Performance pads have a higher operating temperature and work better at higher temperature but, do not work aswell when cold.

Hope this gives u some idea of wots going on!

Don't believe anything i say!!!!!

Anonymous
08-10-01, 08:48 PM
Its the inlet that takes air from the servo as it is using the engine as a vacuum pump to assist braking. Why you get this is could be down to alsorts of things including what's been said above. The best thing if you feel your brakes are unacceptable is try changing the pads (maybe try some performance ones) & give the whole set up a thorough service. Otherwise go for an upgrade to bigger brakes

Anonymous
09-10-01, 05:51 PM
i av astra gte brake conversion but the discs and pads r standard gte ones, savin for sum performance ones at the mo cheers for all the advice;)

Anonymous
09-10-01, 06:46 PM
strip/clean/regrease brakes/copper grease backs of pads
adjust hb cable
blead all brakes or change brake fluid to dot 5.1
check one way valve on servo

16v Nova - Toolkit, Trouble, Points and great expence all come as standard :)