PDA

View Full Version : Belt screeching... how to fix?

Torroni
26-02-07, 10:23 AM
Something under the bonnet of my GTE is screeching occcasionally when i pull away, change gear or drive through a big puddle... sounds like one of the belts slipping or something?

Please point me in the right direction so I can get it fixed!! Thanks :)

Matt2107
26-02-07, 10:27 AM
Sounds like the alternator belt.

I'm not sure if this is the proper way to cure it but on my old 1.2 I undid the alternator on its sliding bracket and leavered the alternator up slightly making the belt tighter.... no more squeal.

Wait for more advice before doing that though just incase.

Driver
26-02-07, 10:28 AM
squeexy fan belt probs

poor a little oil on each of the pulleys the belt goes round for quick fix :D allways works

also you could tighten it up but that requires will power something most people on here dont have lol

Stuart
26-02-07, 01:12 PM
aye, WD40 but better yet replace the damn belt

Adam
26-02-07, 01:41 PM
Wd40 lasts about 20mins before it just burns off.

Stuart
26-02-07, 01:48 PM
gives you 20 mins to get to a shop and buy a new belt :p

Mine used to squeak, WD40 and the squeak went away for months...

Adam
26-02-07, 01:51 PM
Lol, my old one used to squeak so i wd40'd that and the squeak was back 3mile later. So i had to dig out the 13mm spanners tighten the belt a bit.

matt1chelski
26-02-07, 02:47 PM
my dad has some "belt stuff" (spray) lol, from his work. put some on mine about 2 months ago, still squeek free.

DeepSnoozer
27-02-07, 03:29 AM
dont put oil in the belt, it wouldnt make a sound but it woulnt turn either... the alternator is ajustable, loosen up a screw and with a crowbar stretch the belt a bit more , then tight that screw and we're done

Lucky Luke!
27-02-07, 04:38 AM
Yeah be careful, i wd'd mine and the ******* just slipped off!

london_chris
27-02-07, 05:44 AM
squeexy fan belt probs

poor a little oil on each of the pulleys the belt goes round for quick fix :D allways works

also you could tighten it up but that requires will power something most people on here dont have lol

i assume when you say fan belt you mean auxilliry/alternator belt? as it doesnt hav a fan belt, its an electric fan, basically undo the alterator bolt, get a mate to force it towards the bulkhead and tighten it making the belt more tense

Lee
27-02-07, 08:24 AM
What is the world coming to when a thread about a squeeky alt belt makes it to 2 pages!!!!!!!

The advice on the first reply was perfect lol

Matt2107
27-02-07, 09:44 AM
What is the world coming to when a thread about a squeeky alt belt makes it to 2 pages!!!!!!!

The advice on the first reply was perfect lol

Get in!! :D:D:D

craig green
27-02-07, 10:42 AM
Problem I had on my GSi was that the metallic bushes within the adjusting arm had worn so they got slack. When you adjust the belt tight, it would just fall back slack after you unloaded the tension from the lever or bar. I couldnt keep it tight no matter what, so I fitted the new bushes & normal taught belt syndrome was resumed.

Worth looking into.