PDA

View Full Version : Nova GTE auxiliary air valve

Voodoo
26-02-07, 02:01 AM
I'm having trouble with my car, it struggles to idle when cold, then when it's warm, it idles at 1200-1500rpm. I took out the aux air valve, and it's only partially open. It does fully close when warm though. I looked at another one I have, and it's the same. Is it supposed to be fully open, with the hole completely unobstructed?

Cheers!

Voodoo
27-02-07, 02:23 AM
Up!!

Help please!! :(

craig green
27-02-07, 10:45 AM
No idea. Rinse it through with carb cleaner. Do it thoroughly.

Adam
27-02-07, 01:46 PM
When cold it opens enough to give the engine a higher than normal idle.
Sounds like its sticking open tho, as 1200-1500rpm is way too high for a warm engine idle. Should be 800/900rpm.

Voodoo
27-02-07, 10:33 PM
Long Live The Nova, it's the other way around: The idle is high when warm, because I had to se it up like this, other wise it wouldn't idle when cold! lol

Craig, I sunk the bloody thing in wd40, dried it and conected it to the battery, and it is closing fully. I think that it's not opening enough when cold though, because you can hardly get a small phillips screwdriver through the hole.

What really bugs me is that I have 2, and they are both the same! Could anything else make the idle too low when cold?

craig green
28-02-07, 10:47 AM
Low lumpy idle could be an air leak after the AFM, maybe.

Idle speed can be altered by the screw in the TB (anti clockwise to raise)

Adam
28-02-07, 12:42 PM
You should set the idle with the engine warm, about 900rpm.
Then when cold the valve opens and lets more air in thus raising the idle.

Does the gte air valve have a electrical connection? sure it just used coolant temperature, a bit like a coolant thermostat but for air...

Voodoo
28-02-07, 11:30 PM
Yes, there's a electrical connection. The current heats a bi-metalic strip, and makes the valve gradually close (quoting from the haynes manual).
I tried setting the idle when warm, and that's the problem. If i set it at 900-1000 when warm, it won't idle when cold unless I hold the throttle slightly open.
A friend of mine is bringing me 3 (!) more valves to check over the weekend, if they all look like mine, I'll have to start looking for another cause.

:thumb: