PDA

View Full Version : 1.2 modifiying help!!

Jim Mcrae
24-02-07, 11:42 PM
I have a mk1 1.2. It has the pierburg carb and have been told that in a work, its sh*t!! Was wondering if there is anything i can do to improve the performance in any way by mabe replacing it, baring in mind i am on a tight budget. I also have a 1400 exhaust and a cherry bomb silencer, did have a K&N but the b*gger fell off so now have an exposed carb, not ideal i know. What can i do do to my engine to maybe free up a few extra horses, i know progress will be minemal on this engine but am curious to see what i can do without spending mega bucks! Cheeers

Geth
25-02-07, 01:12 AM
A Weber 32/34 DMTL carb is usually a good start. It will make the engine more responsive and should drag out a few extra horses.

You could also try an exhaust system from a 1.4 as it has 2 down pipes.

There used be a really good article on modding 1.2 Novas on a budget but I don't know where it is.

dannyb
25-02-07, 01:40 AM
I've not bothered trying to eek any more power from my 1.2, its not the best place to start throwing money into. Spend the same money you would trying to get 5-10 more genuine bhp out of it on a better base to work from, such as a 1.4 SR lump (cheap tax still and probably not much more to insure).

Put in simpler terms, a ?100 at most engine means a 15 odd bhp power hike, versus a ?200 plus adventure of carbs and cams which will not see more than 10 bhp.

Jim Mcrae
26-02-07, 08:27 AM
I have the 1400 exhaust bud, so do you think the weber carb and the cam out of an SR/SRi/GTE/GSi will see a difference

Stuart
26-02-07, 09:05 AM
a 1.3 cam (in good, new condition) has been seen to give 5bhp more on a std 1.2 engine. the 1.4sr cam is the "better" cam of the selection to use.

just make sure you have the fuelling and timing sorted ;)