PDA

View Full Version : 2ltr red top knocking noise?

ade
24-02-07, 04:25 PM
I'm asking this on behalf of a mate with a red top efi engine in a vectra hes recently bought.

When he presses the accelerator theres a tapping sound coming from the top/front of the engine. Its in time with the "beat" of the engine (gets faster as revs rise etc).

Happens when cold and occasionally when idling but has been happening more when cars warmed up. It's also started to cut out when idling (after warm).
I thought it was just the usual sounds engines make till they get warm but the cutting out's odd.

Engines done 86k - its the old style vectra (S reg) and has recently been serviced.

Any ideas?

Ade

burgo
24-02-07, 04:30 PM
time for an oil change ;)

ade
24-02-07, 04:42 PM
its recently had a full service including oil so its not that.

chris-gsi
24-02-07, 05:04 PM
most of the time its oil change, has he done the paper clip test,if so what was it?

Adam
24-02-07, 05:09 PM
Does the engine management light come on before it cuts out?
If its a S-reg Vectra it wont be a red top, it will be a ecotect jobbie, unless he's swapped the engine.

chris-gsi
24-02-07, 05:10 PM
if it is ecotech all he will need to do hopefully to stop the cutting,is clean out the idle control valve

burgo
24-02-07, 05:13 PM
it might be the wrong oil tho.

DeepSnoozer
25-02-07, 01:40 PM
okay, first off the tap tap tap tap tap tap noises you hear on the top of your engine are the hidraulic lifters, when the oil gets so sende it clogs in the lifters causing them to tap more often.
As for the cutting out when idling , like, not being able to hold it's idle and die, is that what i understood? it might be the ICV (Idle Control Valve).

I know this because i own a Calibra with the Same, 2.0 16v SFI (not efi) engine :)

ade
25-02-07, 05:19 PM
cheers for that - what you say makes sense.

Its not actually my car (its a makes) so will pass it on...

Ade

:thumb: