PDA

View Full Version : 2.0 brakes

Driver
24-02-07, 11:52 AM
to fit 2.0 16v brakes

i need

disks and calipers right ? do i need brake hose and caliper cariier ?

Paul
24-02-07, 11:59 AM
caliper x 2
original Nova caliper to huib bolts
pad x4
discs x2
copper ease/grease
brake fluid
bleeding kit

use original nova hoses, they bolt straight on.
remember nipples should be at the top so the air can escape through them, not at the bottom, if theyre at the bottom you have calipers wropng way round.

about an hours work max,

dannyb
24-02-07, 12:04 PM
You could upgrade to braided hoses, but this is not essential if you aren't track day-ing.

Driver
24-02-07, 12:13 PM
so you dont need caliper carriers ?

Rich
24-02-07, 12:31 PM
Yeah you do need em

Paul
24-02-07, 12:33 PM
i dont even know what caliper carriers are, but there is two bolts on the back of the astra/cav/calibra brake caliper. they are large hex bolts, unbolt it from cav/calibra/astra two bolts on back, screw in brake disc, 10mm i think that holds brake line to caliper. lift off car as one unit, pads caliper disc.

do the same to your nova exactly the same.

then if your not getting new pads/discs (which it is probably worth it because they'd only cost you about 40quid if that from motor factors) line it on nova hub, put in two bolts to back of caliper, reconnect brake line with 10mm i think bolt, then screw disc in with screw, dnt worry bty that too much, wheel nuts will hold disc in place. then do same on other side. bleed brakes and your done.

if you get new discs and pads, pull disc out of 2.0 brakes, it will just pull out of it, then remove pads, again theyll just pull out after you have removed metal clip from fornt of caliper, like a pin bent up thingy.

wind back piston using brake windback tool alternatively push back using long bar.

insert new pads with copper ease on rear of them, copper ease back of dic where it touches the hub, put screw in disc, re insert metal pin thingy in front of caliper clip thing. bolt caliper with 2 big bolts at back. re attach brake line, same on other side, then bleed brakes.

There is nothing else to it!

Driver
24-02-07, 12:42 PM
no caliper carriers needed then sorted :D

found some 2.0 brakes in garage lol brand new pads n nearly new disks but calipers are siezed :( get em reconditioned though :D and slap them on

Adam
24-02-07, 01:46 PM
Yeah you need the calipers and the carrier.
The carrier is the bracket that the caliper bolts to.
The whole lot then bolts to the hub.

Driver
24-02-07, 02:04 PM
ah bollox anyone selling pair of caliper cariers ?

bieransri
24-02-07, 02:31 PM
scrappy is best bet mate, anyone any idea how much discs + pads are from motor factors trade price?

Paul
24-02-07, 02:45 PM
under 40 quid, about 30ish

Adam
24-02-07, 03:00 PM
Discs are ?6 each, and pads about ?9 a set.
Thats how much i paid anyway, for Mintex stuff.

Factors wanted more.

bieransri
24-02-07, 03:04 PM
lltn where did you get yours from?

Adam
24-02-07, 03:07 PM
BuyPartsBy (https://sslrelay.com/buypartsby.co.uk/discs_details.php?recordID=7024)

Quite a while back, but doubt prices have changed.

Welsh Dan
24-02-07, 03:25 PM
Remember to degrease both sides of the discs before fitting.

Jon_nova1
24-02-07, 10:32 PM
it must have been a fair few years ago LLTN, or they were fakes, as i work for Mintex and they dont even sell them for that much at stock price, they may have about 5-6 years ago as thats when TMD friction first took over and needed money fast as they were about ?6 million in debt lol

Mike
24-02-07, 10:35 PM
Discs are ?6 each, and pads about ?9 a set.
Thats how much i paid anyway, for Mintex stuff.

Factors wanted more.

wtf :wtf: the pads alone are more then ?9 lol

Jon_nova1
24-02-07, 10:37 PM
i know lol not even i sell them for less than a tenner

Mike
24-02-07, 10:39 PM
i know lol not even i sell them for less than a tenner

silky nath ended up paying about ?25+ per disc from Halfruds lol and his calipers cost him ?50 lol

all this cost me ?81.15 delivered:

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j181/mikenova/Picture001.jpg

Jon_nova1
24-02-07, 10:45 PM
for the big brakes?? i've just bought some of Cleemy1 for ?65 delivered lol

Jon_nova1
24-02-07, 10:45 PM
for the big brakes?? i've just bought some of Cleemy1 for ?65 delivered lol

Mike
24-02-07, 10:48 PM
yep, they were ?60 for caliper, disc's and pads, with ?21.15 delivery which i know is pricey, but i sold my old 1600GSi brakes for ?80 :D lol

and they only cost me ?25 with 1144 pads, and then another ?32 for some Tarox disc's :D

Adam
25-02-07, 12:10 PM
it must have been a fair few years ago LLTN, or they were fakes, as i work for Mintex and they dont even sell them for that much at stock price, they may have about 5-6 years ago as thats when TMD friction first took over and needed money fast as they were about ?6 million in debt lol
Even now on the site i gave, the discs are ?7 each inc vat, and pads ?11 per set inc vat. So there still a LOT cheaper than anywhere else.

It was about a yr back i bought mine, they are definently mintex unless someone has modded the pads and fitted mintex backplates,Lol.
They were all boxed in Mintex packaging too. Still have the receipt somewhere if you want it :plol

Altho the sites changed since i was last on, and they have removed the Mintex and Delphi logos, dammit, i knew i should of bought a few sets. Lol

Jon_nova1
25-02-07, 12:25 PM
yes i think you should and i'll show it to my boss:p lol

i just find it strange how they're managing to sell them cheaper than the UK distributors sell them:wtf: unless they got them from germany which is where the main production is, oh yer, expect them to go cheaper everyone, the UK production is set to move to Romania and the ceadleheath? plant its in the 90 day talk thing which is required by law to let them shutdown, abit poo really, just glad im not there

Adam
25-02-07, 12:52 PM
I guess they just a had a load of Mintex stuff they needed shift.
As i said earlier, they have now removed the Mintex logo from the brake pad/discs page, Lol.