PDA

View Full Version : GSi doesnt crank, just clicks

hendrix
22-02-07, 08:06 PM
Finally got my gsi engine in and started doing the wiring. The loom in the car isnt connected and I think the -ve battery lead is too thin + wasn't bolted down properly lol. I did connect the clocks and the battery light comes on etc.
Anyways would any of this cause the starter to click repeadedly when i turn the key instead of the engine cranking or is it something much more sinister??
cheers

Adam
22-02-07, 08:08 PM
Sounds like the motor is jammed.
If the solenoid is clicking then its been earthed back to the battery...

hendrix
22-02-07, 08:20 PM
so ive wired it up wrong??

novacabrio
22-02-07, 08:20 PM
flat battery>?

Martin
22-02-07, 08:23 PM
Andy its coz you fitted it lol..

If you wanna try a new starter, i have one on my engine, you can have it lol.. as my engiens dead/dying smokes more then a bush fire and loves 2cylinderslol

burgo
22-02-07, 08:25 PM
try hitting the starter with a hammer (imnot joking either)

Jon_nova1
22-02-07, 08:32 PM
connect the earth on the transmission end plate ;)

hendrix
22-02-07, 08:33 PM
personally, I think its because the -ve terminal isn't connected properly as it was all working fine before the reshell. will have to try when I have more light...i will make it to RR on sunday :thumb:

hendrix
22-02-07, 08:33 PM
connect the earth on the transmission end plate ;)

done that!

draper
22-02-07, 08:38 PM
try hitting the starter with a hammer (imnot joking either)

agreed, always works lol

Jon_nova1
22-02-07, 08:39 PM
it wont be the negative then, unless that connection is dodgy, or not on the battery properly, does it click when you turn it over or when the ignition is on? what do the dash lights do when you turn it over? do they go out or dim?

hendrix
22-02-07, 08:46 PM
just clicks when I turn it over, lights dont go out or go that dim really. I dont think the negative is on the battery properly either

Jon_nova1
22-02-07, 09:22 PM
i dont think the earths on properly either, well not to the starter anyway, usually when the starter struggles because its stuck or something the lights will dim slightly

hendrix
22-02-07, 09:53 PM
I did have problems fitting the black wire with a red stripe, but I dont think that is it. How many wires should go to the starter???
Sorry if I sound a bit lame, never really messed with wiring before

burgo
22-02-07, 11:03 PM
just two to starter if i remember correctly. youve got the big fat one that goes straight to the battery then the black with red stripe one from the loom

Adam
23-02-07, 12:42 AM
If the solenoid clicks, the red/black wire is fine.

As burgo said the red/black, and thick red go to the starter.
Depending on what model nova the later ones have a thick earth straight from the starter mounting bolt to the battery. Others dont tho.
If you've fitted another earth>gearbox strap then i dont think thats the problem.

Either the battery is flat, or the starter is jammed.

burgo
23-02-07, 12:45 AM
yes you have tested your battery with a tester havnt you?? as with a dead battery they just click and not much else lol

Adam
23-02-07, 12:50 AM
Also make sure that the thick red is connected tightly, and is getting 12v. (multi meter between it and batt neg.

SUP4NOV4
23-02-07, 10:29 AM
If The Starter Is Just Clicking Its Either A Lose Or Bad Conection On Either Pos Or Neg Or The Solenoid On The Starter Is Faulty Or The Bat Has Low Charge Is The Engine Properly Earthed To The Body Put A Screw Driver Or Spaner Across The Rear Of The Starter Onto The Main Vat Lead And The Starter Wire To See If Its In The Bay Or In The Car Mate

hendrix
23-02-07, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, I think it is stuck in as when i tried to crank the car in gear it lurched forwards as you would expect, I also think the battery is a tad flat too. will report back tomorrow when I've spent another x amount of hours on it. I think that the negative wire to the chassis from the battery may be a bit frubed.

Adam
23-02-07, 06:46 PM
Put a jump lead from gearbox to batt neg terminal.
Try it then.

hendrix
23-02-07, 07:45 PM
ill give that a go tomorrow, my lights outside have packed up and I cant see sh*t!
Cheers mate

Martin
24-02-07, 12:14 AM
Gayy

rdanny
24-02-07, 02:17 AM
i had a ford did the same thing i kept getting told was a bad earth by most passers by when i ended up stuck somewere, i still think it bad electrics to this day was a 1.6 cvh engine same type you get in a xr2.

the old hit it with a spanner worked so
in the end my uncle put a very basic push button start on and i just used that when it did the click thing..

this is how basic it was, he ran it direct from the battery to the starter to the button meaning if you pushed the button with no key in the car turned over (wouldnt start but you get the idea)

i was looking for another car at the time so didnt want to be spending on it.

if your keeping your car its probably not very usefull info for you but i thought id mention it..

to be honest i allways wanted a thief to get in and hit the button when it was in gear ("duh whats this") to sh1t the little tw@t up i allways parked it so id would shoot into a main road or another car or wall

rdanny
24-02-07, 02:20 AM
I did have problems fitting the black wire with a red stripe, but I dont think that is it. How many wires should go to the starter???
Sorry if I sound a bit lame, never really messed with wiring before

just thought i mention for the button we only used 2 wires

1 from battery to starter other from starter to button i think when u pressed button completed the circuit

dont take my word i never did it,

ran it for nearly a year like that