PDA

View Full Version : Fitting cam belt

Anonymous
24-09-01, 10:49 PM
I am needing to fit a new cam belt.
is this as easy as "The Book" says or is it a hard job - looking at it i reckon it shouldn't be too hard and as easy as haynes says but i thought i'd best ask first.
anything i need to be carefull of??

ANDY@WISEWOOD.NET
Pay the bills or Mod the car?

Anonymous
25-09-01, 09:15 AM
yeah that you dont destroy your engine.

for something as important as a cambelt i'll let the garage do it,

ste did his own and has snapped after 3 months and destroyed his engine and cos of this i doubt he will have any comeback cos for all they know it was fitted incorrectly so it was his fault. if a garage had fitted at least he could say it was fitted correctly and the manufacturers have no argument(and it might not have snapped :p )

Anonymous
25-09-01, 01:30 PM
as i have found you DO NOT get warrenty with cam belts the only come back you have is with the peeps who fitted it, oh yeh and it's not a vaux garage then u can forget it so next time i'm having a vaux belt fitted by vaux

lol my engine was fucked anyway ian (burning oil etc) so now i will have a nice 0 miles engine with all the heavy internal mods done :p

16v Nova - Toolkit, Trouble, Points and great expence all come as standard :)

Anonymous
25-09-01, 01:32 PM
oh yeh one more thing i told the cam belt shop that a garage had fitted it and it made no difference questions like
is it a vauxhall approved dealership?
and was it a vauxhall trained mechanic?
being asked

Anonymous
25-09-01, 02:19 PM
so the message is:
"Dont try this at home kiddies" then is it?
okie dokie.
off to the garage it goes.

ANDY@WISEWOOD.NET
Pay the bills or Mod the car?

Anonymous
25-09-01, 02:34 PM
If you're asking the question I would recommend going to a garage.
If the cam timing gets seriously out of synch. or the belt breaks, the pistons will hit the valves and results in a large bill for new valves and head not to mention damage to pistons and cylinder bores.

Anonymous
25-09-01, 03:05 PM
OKIE DOKIE THEN!
think it's def gunna the garage now.
dont want a big bill for all that stuff do i?

Anonymous
25-09-01, 03:07 PM
oooh bugger!!! I guess I shouldn't have started removing my cambelt then!!!!!! shit!! does this mean that I should fit the engine then get a garage to fit a new cambelt?

2.0 16v on its way soon!!!! :D

Anonymous
26-09-01, 11:38 AM
wohoo i've got no bent valves!!!

Anonymous
26-09-01, 12:47 PM
What?! cam belts take about 10mins to fit and are a piss easy to do. And if you're not sure if its correct and you're worryed about valves hitting, just turn the engine over by hand before you start it.

Anonymous
26-09-01, 01:55 PM
on a 2.0 16v mate??

small block ones are easy
mk2's are easier still

Anonymous
26-09-01, 02:24 PM
no ste - remember it was me who posted asking for the help, remember??
lmao.
You dont need no help you're supposed to be the expert on all things nova are you not?

Anonymous
27-09-01, 02:41 AM
It's dead easy to do on a normal Nova engine (i.e not a valver), and shouldn't take long to do either.
All you have to do basically is ensure that you have all the timing marks lined up in the correct positions before you remove the old one, then check that they haven't moved before you fit the new one....couldn't be simpler!

Follow the Haynes wisewood....easy. The only other thing to watch for though is the water pump, 'cos I know peeps who've ended up with it leaking after it's been disturbed to do the cam belt tension. I've had no probs with mine though.

Anonymous
27-09-01, 08:53 AM
like i said mk2's are easier still no need to touch the water pump

Anonymous
30-09-01, 10:06 AM
Wisewood.........Has the Cambelt been done??

Does my old black terror live again??

PS. Might have a set of GTE Skirts for ya, mail me mate!