PDA

View Full Version : throttle cable

kronk10
22-02-07, 07:07 PM
Can some one help my throttle cable snapped this morning got a new one put it on but cannot get it to pull my linkcage for the twin 40's its on a 1.4 sr and is doing my head in. I rang garages but they all said 80 quid to fix it. I have put the cable on the pedal with the srping in the right place but nothing happens it just will not pull the linkcage:confused: any help or pics would be great:thumb:

Adam
22-02-07, 07:09 PM
It will go through an adjuster at the linkage end, and clamp in a bolt.
At the bulkhead it should have like a plastic bung onto stop it pulling through the bulkhead.

Where did you get the cable from? Ive been after a T40 cable locally but no where sold anything suitable.

kronk10
22-02-07, 07:19 PM
It will go through an adjuster at the linkage end, and clamp in a bolt.
At the bulkhead it should have like a plastic bung onto stop it pulling through the bulkhead.

Where did you get the cable from? Ive been after a T40 cable locally but no where sold anything suitable.

When i had my car tuned they used my old cable thats why it is bugging me i got an exact cable of a 1.4 vaux engine with a peirburg carb. and put everything back and it wont work. I cant afford to get it towed all the way back up to get it fixed again at protune:mad: someone said they could do it for 30quid and when said it s got twin 40 carbs they said it dont matter they will do it for 30 quid. now iam so worried i think the carbs need rebalancing and tuning just in case they werent biting right they would splutter if you werent in the right rev range is that right. I do have a high lift cam:confused:

Adam
22-02-07, 07:29 PM
Just dont touch any of the balance screws inbetween the linkage.
I got my 40s fitted yesterday and mine dont splutter at all, and i've tuned them myself.
They must have cut the end of your original 1.4 nova cable, as t40 linkages use bare cables, novas have a barrel/pear end.

Just make sure the cable is on the pedal right, then push it through the metal adjuster rod on the linkage(got two nuts on) then feed it through a small clamp hole and tighten the two nuts that clamp the cable...

draper
22-02-07, 07:32 PM
like a mountain bike brake cable then ??

Adam
22-02-07, 07:33 PM
I tried a mountain bike brake cable on mine, with near distastrous consquences lol

kronk10
22-02-07, 08:03 PM
I havnt touched the balance valves etc on the carbs its just if you arnt in the right rev range it splutters abit. Iam proper peed off tried for two hours to get the cable to work to no avail, Iam gonna get someone to do it then get the carbs checked up etc cars going back to the bodyshop to have the bottom vinyal match the bumpers and have a tiny hole and bubbles in the door sorted. Its all money money funking money with these old cars:(

Adam
22-02-07, 08:09 PM
Do you have the cable clamped to the carb linkage?

draper
22-02-07, 08:11 PM
sell it meeeeee then lol

kronk10
22-02-07, 09:11 PM
sell it meeeeee then lol

Sometimes i feel like selling it :tard:

The cables actually on and bolted on tight but when i press the pedal it doesnt pull the cable it just moves the cable coming out of bulkhead. put when i hold the part of the cable coming out of the bulkhead and get someone to press the pedal it works:eek::confused: there has to be sometihng loose somwhere. But it dont matter iam getting it sorted soon so meh:thumb:

Welsh Dan
22-02-07, 09:32 PM
Sometimes i feel like selling it :tard:

The cables actually on and bolted on tight but when i press the pedal it doesnt pull the cable it just moves the cable coming out of bulkhead. put when i hold the part of the cable coming out of the bulkhead and get someone to press the pedal it works:eek::confused: there has to be sometihng loose somwhere. But it dont matter iam getting it sorted soon so meh:thumb:

Epoxy the outer sleeve of the cable to the bulkhead then?

Adam
23-02-07, 12:39 AM
The problem is the outer casing is not being held tight to the bulkhead, so instead of the inner cable being pulled and opening the linkage, its pulling the whole cable.

No point paying someone do it, just keep at it, wont take long sort.

Paul
23-02-07, 11:07 AM
Hope this helps this is how I did mine iand it worked perfectly....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v14/lashednova/t40setup.jpg

womble sri
23-02-07, 11:41 AM
my setup is near enough a mb break cable i just cut the ball of the sri cable and trimmed the casing down. not let me down yet! well the bottom end has slightly