PDA

View Full Version : the solve my problem post

Jon_nova1
20-02-07, 07:04 PM
ok i cant really think of a title, as its a mutiple thingy, on a 1.4

anyway, since i picked the nova up on saturday, i put a new head gasket on...

its making a top end noise, this could be because i didn't drain the lifters, it could also be the water pump as i noticed today its loose, as in has abit of leway going side to side??

the engine seems to be very rough, and shudders, i took it out today for a test drive and it was really underpowered

i got it home and realised i had my old 1.4 carb distributor, i changed it with the injection distributor as it had a vacuum advance on the unit, i also changed the module loom to the 1.4, it only had the 1.2 injection module chip on it too, would this cause it to be under powered?? i didn't get chance to test it out, as the carb distributor doesn't send a signal to the fuel pump so i was wiring it up

Adam
20-02-07, 07:27 PM
Yes it will cause underpower.
As the injection dizzy has no spark advance, so it will be running the initial idle timing figure throughout the rev range.

The injection ecu switches the fuel pump on. It will be flooding your carb if your using an injection pump.

Jon_nova1
20-02-07, 07:33 PM
yes, the wire that sends the signal to the ECU from the Dizzy is no longer there, so it cant, the injection pump has always been on with carbs before i bought it, wont the excess fuel just go along the return pipe?

Adam
20-02-07, 07:42 PM
The injection pump supplies fuel at too high a pressure for a carb, and will knacker its float valve.

You will need to turn the pump on with a manual switch if you want to keep using that pump.

Does the cam housing have the opening for a mechanical fuel pump? or is it blocked?

Jon_nova1
20-02-07, 07:45 PM
yes i've got a switch sorted for it, the cam housing actually has the opening for the fuel pump, i even bought a mechanical fuel pump because i thought i was missing it lol

Adam
20-02-07, 07:48 PM
Get the mech pump fitted.
And replace the electric pump with a piece of fuel hose.

Jon_nova1
20-02-07, 07:54 PM
yer think i'll try that, what would you think would cause the shuddering? would this be the module chip too? i've never had a nova with so many problems i can't figure lol