PDA

View Full Version : integra type R engine mounting fittings

ll longy ll
20-02-07, 12:57 PM
anyone know if this is do-able in my garage? i'm looking to put a B18C Spec-R engine from the jap spec integra type R into my nova. need to know if anyone knows anywhere that i can get the fittings from b4 i buy the engine. if not i will have to go with the K20A engine from the new civic type R. but that leaves me short of room for the turbo.

!!Any Ideas Welcome!!

cheers, Andy

Stuart
20-02-07, 01:45 PM
well basically your going to ahve to place the engine in the bay, see where the engines mounts and car mounts are and make brakets to join them up/make custom mounts on the car etc....

iirc its NEVER been done so you wont find an off the shelf kit for it.

ll longy ll
20-02-07, 02:21 PM
fair enough. cheers. i'll keep you informed on the progress. and which engine i end up using. Definately gonna be jap though. sorry to all you proper griffin lovers. love the noise and poke of the V-Tec.

Chris
20-02-07, 03:40 PM
get a honda then???????

And what is the point in fitting a turbo? Lets beat 10's of years research and development of an engine which is awsome and reliable and fit a turbo for it to explode every 6 months?

Chris

Lee
20-02-07, 03:43 PM
Revvy engine plus turbo is a disaster waiting to happen, as chris said.

Good luck on the conversion, post lots of piccies of progress if it ever goes ahaed.

Stuart
20-02-07, 03:53 PM
revvy engine + big boost at the top end of the rev range (assuming you know what your doing) = lots of power.... but like i said you REALLY have to be good at what your doing and not a home made lashup.

simon_p
20-02-07, 03:55 PM
as above, if you are going to do it, sod the turbo and just slap a v tec in

you do want it to move and not sit and generate loadsa smoke do you?!!

mind, that would be a possible business venture.....

.....nova based disco smoke generator!

nah good luck mate, just don't turbo it!

Stoo
20-02-07, 05:02 PM
Erm, K20A is a 2.0 16v Ivtec NON-Turbo so you wont need room for one!!

The new Civic Type R DOES NOT use the K20A Engine. The old Civic Type R (EP3) and Newer shape Integra Type R (DC5) Does however!!

The K20A WILL NOT fit in the bay, as the gearbox is HUGE!! Trust me, i had a DC5.

As for the B18C6,probably might fit BUT if you want Vtec, buy a honda! Pointless putting it into a nova! Ill put a pound to a pinch of **** if you put a B18 in a nova, a B18d DC2 or even civic will STILL beat it!

I now have a DC2 and im more than happy with it. And just out of interest?? Why a Jap spec engine!?!? Theres no MAJOR difference between it and the UK engine. Sure theres 10bhp more, differnet ECU and Ex.Manifold, but theres no difference on the road!

Deluded!

L14MNP
20-02-07, 05:38 PM
Think he meant Jap built engine ie: Honda not Vaux as opposed to a JDM motor!

Daft idea though! Just as you say, get a Vtec Honda (DC2 nice choice :thumb )

And...a Vtec Mini K20 or B18 would also tear the Nova a new one!

There's an idea, why not buy a Mini Clubman and fit a Vtec, Clubman FTW as iirc the front end doesn't even require extending and all the conversion parts are available off the shelf

Good luck though mate! Can't beat a challenge, and that certainly is one lol

If you're that clever you can help me build my wriring loom that will allow Nissan GTi-R quad throttle bodies to run on a N/A sr20de with GReddy e-manage! hmmm :S lol

Chris
20-02-07, 08:40 PM
another post which will never happen.

my guesses of reasons it doesnt happen.......

1. Nova's are crap, why put ?1500 - ?3000's worth of engine in.
2. It will be a pig of a job to sort driveshafts out.
3. A nova shell is crap
4. It would never work right.
5. An Integra is a far superior shell, muchios thought has gone into the chassis development. Just do a search for Best Motoring Integra on Youtube or google.

Mike
20-02-07, 08:43 PM
do you know how much these engines cost to get!!

My freind was bidding on one on ebay, it went for ?1200+ and thats cheap! Hes now opted for a Civic SiR 1.8 (176bhp) engine to put into his civic, even this cost him ?570!

london_chris
20-02-07, 09:51 PM
cut the front end of nova off, fit the honda subframe, build nova back up around the new frame, sort of thing that you do to put one in a mini, u might want to look at them to get an idea

Philsutton
20-02-07, 11:02 PM
The type R engine work very well with turbos, one of our mates is going to be doing a 2.2 one with a stupid turbo in a civic, but you do need to know what your doing otherwise it wont happen.

If you want a fast nova but a tuned c20let in it will be easier, if you want the vtec get a civic.

Also my mate paid ?200 for the 2.2 with everything including box ecu an loom an shafts. You just need to know where to look.

london_chris
20-02-07, 11:17 PM
do you know how much these engines cost to get!!

My freind was bidding on one on ebay, it went for ?1200+ and thats cheap! Hes now opted for a Civic SiR 1.8 (176bhp) engine to put into his civic, even this cost him ?570! vtecs can be a lot cheaper than that.

they will not go pop with a turbo conversion, i would uprate everything, id love a vtec nova, one good point about the vtec rather than the c20xe is the noise

london_chris
20-02-07, 11:19 PM
also im 90% sure that the civic sir is a 1.6 168bhp engine

london_chris
20-02-07, 11:20 PM
its only called SIR because its a limited edition with different trim and paint

Stoo
21-02-07, 07:12 AM
The 2.2 Vtec IS NOT the type R engine. and they;re so chep because theyre rubbish!!

And If youre interested seriously, my frien dhas a B18C^ out of a DC2 for sale, fresh rebuild ?2750 its yours!! Id like to see this conversion Attempted!

SiR has ALOT more than standard civic VTis LSD for a start!!

Chris
21-02-07, 10:25 AM
was the accord type-R not a 2.2 VTEC though Stu?

c20xesleeper
21-02-07, 10:45 AM
mate you r going to have to make your engine mounts and get used to it cause you will have to make a lot of bits if your going to take on such a big prodject . but it will be cool so good luck

c20xesleeper
21-02-07, 10:45 AM
mate you r going to have to make your engine mounts and get used to it cause you will have to make a lot of bits if your going to take on such a big prodject . but it will be cool so good luck

Lee H
21-02-07, 11:05 AM
Are the engine and gearbox also not the other way round to Vauxhall on the Honda's as well just to add to the problems. ie gearbox on the drivers side.

atokley
21-02-07, 01:01 PM
And just out of interest?? Why a Jap spec engine!?!? Theres no MAJOR difference between it and the UK engine. Sure theres 10bhp more, differnet ECU and Ex.Manifold, but theres no difference on the road!

Deluded!

B18C5/6 is the type R lump, has different compression pistons and a crank girdle for higher revs.

The b18c4 is the uk market one and is lower compression and a lot cheaper, much better for slapping a turbo on.

vallanc3
21-02-07, 01:51 PM
if you dont think turbos work on vtecs:
http://www.theracingline.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=174

vallanc3
21-02-07, 01:59 PM
and heres the dyno print:
http://www.theracingline.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=209

Stoo
21-02-07, 05:01 PM
Turbos CAN work on Vtecs but it trakes ALOT of work/time/money/engineering to get it right

A friend of mine has the Greddy developement turbo'd DC5 and its always going wrong!! And thats a Greddy car!!

Chris, your right, but the ATR wasnt JDM!!

The B18C6 is the UK model engine. Its whats sat in mu UKDM ITR DC2 on my driveway!!!

The JDM Type R Lump (B18C5) has the same compression etc etc, all thats different is the ECU and exhaust manifold and very slight headwork to give the extra 7bhp!!

Mike
21-02-07, 05:55 PM
vtecs can be a lot cheaper than that.

they will not go pop with a turbo conversion, i would uprate everything, id love a vtec nova, one good point about the vtec rather than the c20xe is the noise

what VTEC noise is this then lmfao!! Its sound of engine picking up RPM, its not like the noise a Turbo or T/B's make pmsl!! And btw, they will explode with a Turbo conversion ;) just becuase its a "VTEC" doesnt mean it wont break lmfao!! :wall:

a decent VTEC to use as a base engine will not be all that much cheaper tbh unless you either now some one breaking and get mates rates, or get a blown/fcuked engine

and the SiR is NOT just available as a 1.6 :roll: and its not just a different spec interior either, as covered, its got LSD ;)

Stoo
21-02-07, 05:58 PM
Teh VTEC noise is HIGHLY addictive when the cam changes over! Absolutely awesome!! And Honda have made over 15million VTEC Units and not one has failed mechanically!!

They wont explode with a turbo conversion if done properly. they can be very very useful machines!

The SiR is a MODEL/TRIM designation. It has nothing to do with engine size. Integra SiR (1.8) Civic SiRII (1.6) etc

Mike
21-02-07, 06:06 PM
Teh VTEC noise is HIGHLY addictive when the cam changes over! Absolutely awesome!! And Honda have made over 15million VTEC Units and not one has failed mechanically!!

They wont explode with a turbo conversion if done properly. they can be very very useful machines!

The SiR is a MODEL/TRIM designation. It has nothing to do with engine size. Integra SiR (1.8) Civic SiRII (1.6) etc

what im saying Stu, is that people have this perception of VTEC engines that stuff NEVER goes wrong with them, wither it be distributors (common a civic LSi apparently) or piston rings, stuff like that

The SiR engine we picked up on satruday was taken from an Civic Coupe (it IS a 1.8 tho ;)), and i know that it has nothing to do with the engine size, thats not what i was saying, im saying that the model "SiR" werther it be a teg or civic is avaliable in 1.6 or 1.8 ;)

rednova
21-02-07, 06:19 PM
iirc its only the vtec system thats not failed - the valves go and other stuff etc just like normal engines - this would be nice to see done , the first person who put one in a mini must have got this kind of varied response too, just keep us all posted

Phil

maccas
21-02-07, 07:05 PM
hi guys, found this on you-tube, thought you all might like to have a look at it, pretty quick piece of kit!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ujdwrTLfCw&mode=related&search=

Stanley
21-02-07, 07:30 PM
My mate bought an Integra Type R engine (B18C4), box, loom, ecu, shafts, hubs, brakes and seats for ?800+VAT from my work.

He got a good deal!!

We regularly get upwards of ?400+ VAT for (B16A2) Honda Civic VTi/Jordan engines etc etc.

I have to say id be very interested to see this conversion happen but to be honest il not hold my breath...

Top darts fior trying!:thumb:

Mike
21-02-07, 07:34 PM
agreed, would not hold m breath at all!

Reminds me of the 4x4 thread hehehehe

altho one day, when i have enough time, money and space im gonna give that a go :D