PDA

View Full Version : Brakes Binding!

Anonymous
21-09-01, 03:41 PM
On the way home from Uni today, i stopped on a hill, (facing downwards), with my foot on the brake. when i released the pedal, the brakes stayed on, not fully but enough to stop the car rolling freely.. :(

Im guessing that the pistons in the calipers are sticking somehow? Or could it be something else? Any ideas how to fix it would be much appreciated :-/
The brakes are: standard nova SR calipers, with EBC pads and disks.

Ben.

Anonymous
21-09-01, 06:03 PM
Probably just the outer sliders, 2 per caliper they usually seize up, get to a motor factors and by the cheap overhaul kits for about ?8, take the calipers off and clean up and regrease the sliders, leave the main piston seal, If it is the main piston that has seized you'll probably need new discs by the time you read this!

Anonymous
23-09-01, 12:38 AM
I had the same thing mate, and do as kev said above.

In my case, just replacing the slider sleeves didn't do the job fully, as I also needed to strip the calliper and clean out the piston, fit new seal etc.
It may just be the sliders, but if it's as bad as you describe, you may have to do the lot. It's pretty easy to do though, and farley cheep....?8 for slider re-con kit as kev said, and about ?6 to ?8 for the calliper re-con kit (new seals).

My near-side brake was on all the time, but as it was only at one side, I could feel it pulling to that side so it was soon spotted. My wheel used to get a bit hot!!!
I'd just fitted new callipers...well, second hand, and hadn't stripped them to check their condition before fitting 'em....big mistake I know! I re-conditioned the brakes at both side in the end to make sure that there were as they should be.