PDA

View Full Version : taxing a car

chimp007_uk
19-02-07, 11:28 PM
right...

my housemate has a bought a vauxhall chevette thats mot'd but has no tax... he lives in bristol and doesn't want to chance driving it untaxed. i had the idea of applying for tax online with the neccessary documents, but you need insurance, v5 and sorn letter.

v5 will be easy, he has that lol

can you take out a month policy etc with norwich union and then tax it? according to the dvla website they search the insurance database to see if the car is insured... would that work?

how do you get the sorn letter which is needed if you dont have it etc?

thanks for your help, hope that makes sense :)

chris

london_chris
19-02-07, 11:35 PM
right...

my housemate has a bought a vauxhall chevette thats mot'd but has no tax... he lives in bristol and doesn't want to chance driving it untaxed. i had the idea of applying for tax online with the neccessary documents, but you need insurance, v5 and sorn letter.

v5 will be easy, he has that lol

can you take out a month policy etc with norwich union and then tax it? according to the dvla website they search the insurance database to see if the car is insured... would that work?

how do you get the sorn letter which is needed if you dont have it etc?

thanks for your help, hope that makes sense :)

chris

you can insure a car without taxing it, just insure it,get the documents through and go post office and buy tax

chimp007_uk
19-02-07, 11:38 PM
i know that, but to tax it online you need insurance they search the insurance database etc.

my housemate is taking the car off the road straight away, it's going into a lockup till the summer when he finished uni.so he doesnt want to insure the car for a year, thats why i thought about a month insurance with nu.

he's been stopped by the police before for not having tax and doesn't want to chance it.

Ash
19-02-07, 11:43 PM
umm, wouldn't a chevette be tax exempt? :wtf:

Ash

chimp007_uk
19-02-07, 11:48 PM
no it's not... 2 years this side of it :(

Welsh Dan
19-02-07, 11:48 PM
Just trailer it?

chimp007_uk
19-02-07, 11:49 PM
none of us have a trailer or a car with a toe bar :( all motorsport students with cars for track or retro lol i'm really stumped

Welsh Dan
19-02-07, 11:52 PM
Surely someone's dad/uncle will have a large car or van, and you can hire a trailer for similar/less cash than taxing+insuring?

sr mikey
19-02-07, 11:54 PM
just push it lol

london_chris
20-02-07, 12:13 AM
insure it and then cancel it the day after

Ash
20-02-07, 12:26 AM
my mate used a site to insure his car for a day @ ?10.50, doutb you could use it to get tax tho.

Ash

Welsh Dan
20-02-07, 08:03 AM
http://www.dayinsure.com/ ?

chimp007_uk
20-02-07, 09:31 AM
thats what i was thinking, as you can insure for up to 3months...

Matt2107
20-02-07, 12:37 PM
I'd go for the hire a trailer option to be honest.

chimp007_uk
20-02-07, 04:14 PM
I'd go for the hire a trailer option to be honest.

i know it's the easiest and probably the cheapest, but i've spent all day trying to find someone with a tow bar... no luck!

thinking about calling the aa and getting it towed, say there's something wrong with it...

loggyboy
20-02-07, 04:25 PM
Surely some has a car with toe rope, a lil nova inst that heavy, anything with more than 80 brake should manage it.

loggyboy
20-02-07, 04:33 PM
Alternatively claim you were told it was not MOTd, book it in for an MOT and drive it home. You can legally drive a car with no MOT and tax to a prearranged MOT (doesnt mean u have to turn up to it, as long as you could prove it to a copper)

chimp007_uk
20-02-07, 04:36 PM
it would be a bit dodgey towing the car on a rope to bristol, and you would travel on hte m4 lol

i like the mot idea, but would that hold up travelling such a distance?

SRlew
20-02-07, 04:40 PM
i wouldnt see the distance for an mot to matter. as you might want that particular garage thats done 'all' the work on your car to do it. aslong as its booked for one etc

Lee
20-02-07, 04:42 PM
Wheres the car, and where do you need to get it to?

loggyboy
20-02-07, 04:43 PM
Get a tow bar, ive used those and had no issues as the leading car does braking too. Youd have to claim the car broke down on the Mway tho as u cant legally tow on M/way, only for recovery. However it would be best to use A roads anyway.

chimp007_uk
20-02-07, 04:43 PM
i don't mind booking it in for one, as long as distance isn't a factor, as i'll insure it for a day etc

chimp007_uk
20-02-07, 04:45 PM
at the mo, my housemates chevette is outside our house in swansea and needs to get to bristol...

i'm trying to sort it out as i might be in a similar situation soon, but i have double the distance to travel, swansea to watford...

General Baxter
20-02-07, 06:09 PM
email the sell and ask for the online taxing code, on the sorn form

insure the car,
go onto the dvla web site, put the code in, they will check if its mot'd and insured
pay up, job done, just print off that you have paid, just incase

chimp007_uk
20-02-07, 06:22 PM
thats waht i was planing on doing, but i don't want to pay for insurance for a year etc, would the computers register that i've paid for 3months etc...

matt1chelski
20-02-07, 10:39 PM
Doubt the 3 month insurence would work. and even a car being towed with rope would need to be taxed. (unless its on a trailer)

cooper_nova
20-02-07, 11:11 PM
also aa/rac ect won't recover an untaxed car so you can't use that one

but the book car for mot is a valid and very good way around it as all it will cost is the insurance;)

london_chris
20-02-07, 11:51 PM
towing wont work as you still need insrance and tax etc, get anyone u know with aa/rac or watever to call em out and say it broke down and get em to take it to the destination

matt1chelski
21-02-07, 08:38 AM
There`s an echo in here lol

^^^ Did you not read the last two posts? lol