PDA

View Full Version : Better brakes

Anonymous
16-09-01, 10:50 PM
I want to upgrade my standard front brakes before upping the engine on my 1.2. What would you guys suggest? I saw that most members? cars have Astra 16v brakes/discs and pads but according to the archives they will only fit on anything above 14" wheels. I am still on standard 13" rims but will be adding alloys (15 maybe 16") in Feb but what would you suggest until then, and once and the alloys are on? I saw the guide in Total Vauxhall but do not want to pay ?350 for the kit Regal Autosport suggested. Cheers guys

Anonymous
17-09-01, 09:50 AM
From the point of view of cost and convenience, stay with what you've got until you have got your new wheels and then go the Astra route and 15" for minimum hassle and best handling. There's plenty of choice and I know Compomotives fit really well. If you go for 16" you must fart about more trying to get the right offset and will have more hassle of arch scrubbing to contend with. This can sorted by a combination of rolling/cutting the arches back and altering the ride height, but it tends to be a pain whatever. The plus side of 16" is looks and it allows larger discs. I've fitted 16" Mille Miglias ET49 with 288 mm front discs plus GTE calipers. I cut the rear arch lips back to about 2-3mm showing and had to roll the fronts in a fair bit as well for an 60mm drop

Anonymous
17-09-01, 01:42 PM
Thanks.
Did you seel the Astra 16v brake kit that Colin Smith was selling a few weeks back?
Complete Astra GTE 16V front-brake conversion to fit Nova (discs, calipers, pads and hoses), excellent condition - ?100. Is this price about right? Or would I better getting it from a scrappy? I want to get the parts now so when I get my alloys in Feb I have more money to spend on them. I get my annual pay price in feb. Last one was ?2500!! Most of that we be taken up buying parts, fitting and a re-spray
Cheers

Anonymous
17-09-01, 01:51 PM
Opps that's supposed to say pay rise not pay price

Anonymous
17-09-01, 05:36 PM
That price sounds OK to me. I got sum second hand drilled front and rear discs plus braided hoses and calipers for ?200. It always pays to scout about if you have the time and scoping out the local scrappies is a must if your after bargains.

Anonymous
17-09-01, 07:14 PM
i gather you have the old delco calipers. i had them, but changed em to the ate 1.2i calipers. they are much much much better and the pads last longer too :D straight swap and cheap to do for the time being

Dave Pearce, hmm he mixes like a man with no hands

Anonymous
18-09-01, 02:11 PM
Cheers guys, I will make do with what I got for now and fit the Astra 16v kit when I get my new wheels.

Anonymous
18-09-01, 10:00 PM
I got some GS1 callipers and drilled disks if you wan them

Anonymous
18-09-01, 10:17 PM
No thanks, I am gonna wait till I get my wheels and fit 16v astra discs.

Cheers anyway

Anonymous
18-09-01, 10:17 PM
No thanks, I am gonna wait till I get my wheels and fit 16v astra discs.

Cheers anyway