PDA

View Full Version : Fitting Electric Windows

Anonymous
16-09-01, 03:01 PM
Hi

I want to fit electric windows in my nova sr. Is there a good guide on the web that tells you how to do it? Has anyone else fitted them because I want to know whether its a hard job to do?

Thanks

Anonymous
16-09-01, 11:25 PM
It's dead easy to do as long as you use the proper Vauxhall parts.....you can use after-market kits, but they're harder to fit.
(I've got an after-market kit for sale if you're interested)

I got the pair of motors/regulators and wiring loom (including the central locking loom and solenoids) for ?40 but that was lucky....expect to pay a good bit more than that normally.

One you have these bits, it's easy......to fit the motor/regulator, you remove the old ones (buy drilling out the rivets), and swap them over....either fasten in using rivets and nuts/bolts or an other method, but rivets are the best option.

To fit the loom, you'll have to feed it under the carpet and behind the foot-well side trims etc. You'll also have to drill holes in the door and door pillar.....can be tricky and to drill them in the correct Vauxhall position, you have to remove the doors, but I didn't do this, and it still worked fine. The problem is the door pillar is double skinned in places so choosing the right place to drill can be awkward....not a major prob though.

Feed the wires through and they connect to the motors with a connection block.
At the switch end, you'll have to feed to wires under the carpet again (may be easier to remove the seats, but I didn't have to), and you'll have to cut a hole in the centre console bottom for the wires.
If you are lucky and manage to get the proper Vauxhall switch-box and switches, then wiring up is dead easy...just plug in, but you may not be able to get these as they're a bit rare. Instead, you may have to get some switches from a breakers.
In my case, I've used the switch-box from a Sierra LX....they have two switches in and look very similar to the original Vauxhall ones, (feel nicer than MKI Nova switches). I then had to make a custom-built pod to house them, which I made using thick card covered in matching vinyl.

The final bit of wiring is the power-supply for the motors......this is one wire that clips in to the fuse box. I can't think off hand which connection it goes to, but there's only one it will fit in as the plug is a unique shape. You also need to fit a fuse in the respective location.
You'll also have an earth to connect, which on my loom was near the centre consol so I screwed it into the floor.

That's it.....try 'em and if they don't work, double check that there's a fuse in the fuse box (again, I can't think off hand which location is goes in) and check that it's not blown. Also check the earth. If only ones works, then check the wires going to that motor and make sure the plug is attached properly on the motor. I know it's common sense, but worth saying anyway ;)

If you get a loom that includes the central locking, fitting it as well as the elecy windows involves little extra work.......attach the solenoids using either the proper Vauxhall brackets (if you have them), or make your own; connect the connecting rod to the lock mechanism (may have to round off the end to fit properly); connect the wiring plugs, and connect the power feed into the fuse box...again, the plug can only be fitted in one position as it's a unique shape.

BTW...I'm going to be doing a better version of this guide on novabug at some point (when I've got a bit of spare time!), including photos.

Anonymous
17-09-01, 12:07 AM
Thanks for your help mate, much appreciated.

BadBoy