PDA

View Full Version : Nova lowering question

cjslack
18-02-07, 02:42 PM
I currently have a standard 1.0 nova but soon will be fitting it with GSI body kit. I am then putting 15" alloys on it (195/45/15). can i then lower the car without causing any problems. or how much can i lower the car.

Also if anyone is selling shocks and springs send me a private message

thnx

Iain
18-02-07, 02:50 PM
I think it will depend on what wheels you get. You'll need to get as close to the correct offset as possible to minimise problems (eg wheels catching the arch lip) when lowering it.

cjslack
18-02-07, 03:00 PM
would it be best to just not lower it then. bin told the 195/45/15 will fit on with no problems. but then they mite catch if i lower it. and i dont really wana do any metal work to the car

Iain
18-02-07, 03:09 PM
The car might sit a bit higher than it currently does when putting the bigger wheels on so it's well worth lowering it just for looks (in my opinion). Depending on what wheels they are you may be fine with lowering it sensibly (40mm maybe?) without problems.

BIGS
18-02-07, 03:21 PM
Well i was using 195 45 15 on the back and 195 50 15 on the front lowered 60 mm alround and it didnt rub. Thats with the correct offset. Hope this helps

cjslack
18-02-07, 03:28 PM
dats sweet.

Can some1 explain the offset 2me please lol.dont really understand wat it is.

Thanks for all the help everyone

Dave.
18-02-07, 03:35 PM
offset is the distance between the wheel and the brake disc/rear drums

cjslack
18-02-07, 03:39 PM
ah rite dat makes some more sence now lol.

And usual offset for the nova is 45 - 50 rite

Dave.
18-02-07, 03:52 PM
dont know, ive got 15's i think on mine, the front rubs slightly on full lock, but mine are just thrown on, think its about 45 yeah, if you lower it youd have to most defonatley grind/roll the arches, mine are grinded and my 15's dont rub atall with 195 50 r15 on

Iain
18-02-07, 04:20 PM
Nova offset is ET49, so you'll want to get as close to that as possible. I've read lower than ET45 will start to cause problems. I run 195/50/15's with ET46 offset, lowered -40mm, with no problems.

cjslack
18-02-07, 04:32 PM
how can you change the offset.

Can you do it with wheel spacers or is there a special way

Nova_Tek
18-02-07, 04:45 PM
Hi mate as mentioned your offset is very important.

For example I have 195/45R15 ET 43 Wheels on. It rubbed with 2+ in the back on bumpy roads on standard suspension.

I lowered my car this week 30mm - 35mm and rubs less as its stiffer but does rub now and again.

Either buy wheels as close to ET49 as poss or roll the arch lips up so it gives extra clearance. I will be taking my car to body shop soon to get new arches and get em rolled so that no matter who you have in the back and what offset wheel, there clearence.

Also get good quality suspension when you gonna lower

:thumb:

cjslack
18-02-07, 04:52 PM
when you buy wheels tho it only mentions the 195/45/15 (example). how do you know wat the ET is and how can you change it.

halfords have the wheels i want at the moments so is it worth going in to talk to them bout it.

Cos i really dont wana roll the arches lollol

People are now thinkin im an idiotlol thanks for all the help so far tho :thumb:

Nova_Tek
18-02-07, 05:10 PM
I got my wheels from halfords. And when I went to order them the guy checked what offset the wheels were available in and he got the ones closest to the ET49 he could.

I was quite lucky that he was also a Nova owner and already knew what was needed. But ask them what offset it is and the offsets available and they should tell you.

Remember 49 is the lucky number and 45 I have heard is OK. Any lower then its taking a small risk.

chimp007_uk
18-02-07, 05:11 PM
i'd lower it and fit 14" wheels... the car will be so slow in 15" wheels. i remember my old 1litre... get some gte/gsi 3 spokes and some low profile tyres, will look much better

cjslack
18-02-07, 05:16 PM
thnx nova tek. ill go into the nearest store soon.

14" r an idea but prefer 15". wont b that much more weigth. mite b doin stuff 2the engine soon aswell. so wont c any difference

chimp007_uk
18-02-07, 05:20 PM
i had my 1litre tuned for formula 1000... and it was nippy but unconmparable to the nova gte's i've had. save your money on the wheels, get a set of nova 3 spokes, refurb and paint up nicely and wait till you get a bigger engine.

by fitting the 15" the speedo will be more out than usual, an dit will make the car's acceleration alot slower and put more strain on the engine.

Dan
18-02-07, 05:24 PM
cjslack please type in the correct manner, this is not a text service thus normal english is accepted.

Here's a link i suggest you read as it explains our stance towards this issue clear enough

http://www.novaload.net/forum/announcement.php?f=9

Cheers

Dan

cjslack
18-02-07, 05:27 PM
only on a budget of ?400 atm tho. and the insurance on a gte will be through the roof 4me. but if i buy the 15" for this car then if i get a gte i can swap all the stuff over. that way i will only have to buy 1 set of wheels. tis very fair wat you r saying but in the long run would be more expensive. will probly only have this car for another year neway. then get a bigger engine nova. am sure i can easy on the lil thinglol .

Nova_Tek
18-02-07, 05:33 PM
by fitting the 15" the speedo will be more out than usual

Thats a good point but as long as the correct tyre and profile is used than it will only make a very small difference on your speedo.

The tires I had on my Nova originally were 145/75R13 IIRC. Me then moving to 195/45R15; the difference of the whole circumference of the tyre was only an inch which makes approx 1.5% difference to your speedo readings. To this day I havent had issues with incorrect speed readings or cameras flashing me coz my speedo was out.

As long as you dont go too big on the profile then the difference is small.

check this site out and compare your current tyre/wheel to your new ones.
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

hope this helps

cjslack
18-02-07, 05:39 PM
looked on the site tis like .6 too fast. pratically nothin lol.

site was very useful thnku.

Will def go into halfords to talk bout the rite size tho. thnku 2everyone that has helped.

Dan
18-02-07, 05:48 PM
please read my last reply otherwise i will just remove your account, second warning due to being a new member, but no more.

cjslack
18-02-07, 05:55 PM
sorry mate i missed your last message. i will try my best to type properly from now on