PDA

View Full Version : Fitting kent AST2, and got a problem

Adam
17-02-07, 01:59 PM
The dizzy wont fit on lol
The cam has a slot in the end of it for a 1.2/1.3 dizzy, but also has a middle hole, and a offset hole which i assumed was for pin drive dizzy :confused:
And all aftermarket cams usually have both drive?
The middle hole has a ball bearing in it, which i think is stopping the centre dizzy pin from going in far enough.
It will only go 3/4's of the way on, then just wont move anyfurther.

Any info on other people with AST2s?????

spike24
17-02-07, 02:10 PM
hi i've got the same problem with my 1.4sr, tryin too fit an ast3 but the dizzy i was runnin (from a 1.2spi) wont work, i'm currently lookin for a origional 1.4 sr dizzy but they are very hard too track down and not sure if it'll fit either. will let you know if i sort the problem.

Adam
17-02-07, 02:34 PM
If the cam is a slot drive, a 1.4sr dizzy wont fit either.

Either my AST2 is slot drive only, or that ball bearing is stopping the dizzy from fitting right.

mikey14sr
17-02-07, 02:50 PM
My dizzy needs a good push to get the drive pin into the cam, can't remember if it has a ball bearing in the end of it though.

Adam
17-02-07, 03:34 PM
Ive just been tapping mine with a hammer to try and get it in. It wont budge.
Definently either the cam itself, or the ball bearing is stopping it fitting fully home.

Now im rather stuck.....As i dont have a slot drive dizzy, at all. Got a few pin, but none slot :(

dstevenson
17-02-07, 11:14 PM
I had the same problem on my rally nova as I used the spi dizzy & ign with modified cam.

I filed some off the end of the centre pin (about 2-3mm) using a flap disc on my grinder and that allowed the dizzy to slot into place perfectly. Have been rallying with it now for two seasons and it has not had any probs at all.:thumb:

Don't know why some cams have the ball bearing in the middle as others do not????

Adam
18-02-07, 12:11 AM
Took a grinder to the dizzy earlier on tonight, cut about 5ish mm off the centre pin and that seems to have sorted lol

The dizzy now fits flush, and the rotor turns with the engine, so im hoping all is good.

Fook knows why it wouldn't fit tho, its definently a ast2, as its stamped KC AST2, altho it has quite a few stampings on the plate...

Riggy
18-02-07, 09:36 PM
lol got a slot drivin dizzy if you need it ad :thumb:

Mike
18-02-07, 09:43 PM
ive got a brand spanky new SR dizzy here that is no longer any use to me :D

fook knows what drive it is, ill have to check tomorrow :S

tom reid
18-02-07, 10:03 PM
How much do you want for it? don't care about the drive

Adam
19-02-07, 12:09 AM
lol got a slot drivin dizzy if you need it ad :thumb:
Think i'd need change coil looms and coil/module to swap the dizzy too.
I'll see how long this modded 1400 dizzy lasts,Lol.

Riggy
19-02-07, 07:43 PM
well i have the coil and moduale aswell ,

Adam
19-02-07, 07:48 PM
I'll see if the 1400 one works.
If i dont i'll send you a pm. :thumb:

johnny27
19-02-07, 10:03 PM
I have a kent ast2 on my 14sr. Dizzy must of droped the weights after i hit almost 7200rpm due to the rev limiter disconnecting. I sent for a recon dizzy after that. Turns out i got a real old dizzy from a 13sr, the one with the sorta key in it, it was'nt for fitting at first, way to tight. With abit of brute force it manages to catch the slot in the ast2 cam. The spi dizzy use a slot too, but this was a very different type slot from a 13sr about 86 or so. Don't know if this is any help, your dizzy maybe different.

Adam
20-02-07, 12:26 AM
I have 4spi dizzys here, and none have slot drive... All are pin, and afaik everyspi dizzy was pin drive. So im not sure what dizzy you had fitted.

Did you notice whether your cam has the ball bearing in the end? I think maybe my cam is quite a old grind, and made specifically for 1.2/1.3 engines...
As other AST2s fit both dizzys fine(so i've heard anyway)

Stuart
20-02-07, 09:24 AM
spi dizzys arent "true" dizzys anyway and are total junk...

i had to cut the pin down on my new 1400 dizzy to fit it in the end of the catcams cam due to the bearing being there... no problems really

benthehash
20-02-07, 09:43 AM
i got a new kc ast2 kit that came with for my gsi. got two ball bearings do i need to fit one? it's going to be running a 1.4 sr dizzy!

thanks ben

Stuart
20-02-07, 09:51 AM
if youve got them loose, i wouldnt fit them personally.

Adam
20-02-07, 06:20 PM
I had the spi dizzy on there originally, as i fitted the ast2 and then attempted to start the engine with the spi stuff still on.
Fook me, never again.

It wouldn't run above idle and was spitting back up through the throttle body, then bogged down and just cut out, and the exhaust was pulsing very badly. I guess the std cams are about the limit spi can handle.