PDA

View Full Version : Cheap bucket seats

Adam
15-02-07, 06:56 PM
As above.
Seen these on peter lloyd rallying, ?75 each, new, they seem quite good.
And wouldn't look bad totally in black.

Opinions?
http://peterlloydrallying.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=4&products_id=69&osCsid=5af64a9588b91f6e9ccf4abcfee9ea21

cooper_nova
15-02-07, 07:54 PM
they look ok....won't be up to competition regulation at that price but for strret track days would be more than sufficent....check the bay as they sell on there too:thumb:

Rich
15-02-07, 08:17 PM
Dont buy them just because they are cheap, you will buy twice lol

Adam
15-02-07, 08:21 PM
They are as cheap as a second hand set of cobras/corbeaus...

Chunky Lover
15-02-07, 08:23 PM
once there out of date for competition they come around fairly cheap, try a few rally forums.

Dar
15-02-07, 08:24 PM
I don't like that type of bucket seat, you better off with the ones that are side mounted. But they are more expensive. As said they are ok but you do get what you pay for.

Adam
15-02-07, 08:26 PM
Side mounts tend to be a lot more expensive.
Why do you say there better?

chimp007_uk
15-02-07, 09:17 PM
the cobra imola's in my manta are really nice. suprising how comfortable they are considering they on have an inch of padding to sit on. again though, as dar said they are side mount and the lightweight seat, and cost ?211 each. not cheap

R1CH
15-02-07, 09:22 PM
As folk have said, keep an eye for some second hand seats, i picked up some Black Cobra Imola 2's with side mounts for ?150 !!
:thumb:

Mike
15-02-07, 09:27 PM
you can get sparco sprints for around ?100 each brand new, a lot better seat if you ask me, and EEC & FIA approved :thumb:

chimp007_uk
15-02-07, 09:31 PM
i'm not a fan of steel framed seats. the imola's are all composite construction, and weight about half the weight.

Mike
15-02-07, 09:47 PM
i'm not a fan of steel framed seats. the imola's are all composite construction, and weight about half the weight.

my sprints weighted about 10kg iirc!! for that price what more do you want! To re-sell, there FIA approved, and ECC approved, so if you sell them whilst still in FIA date the rally boys will most likely have them of you quick snap!

chimp007_uk
15-02-07, 09:53 PM
i'm not saying that, for the price they are a good seat. mine are in fia dates as well, and as i didnt buy them, i not fussed about the price. i've had bad experience with steel framed seats in the past. they always seem to rip and wear badly along the edges and the padding seems to fall apart and you get the bars digging into your ribs. the imola s's which i have weigh 7kg.

Mike
15-02-07, 09:55 PM
i'm not saying that, for the price they are a good seat. mine are in fia dates as well, and as i didnt buy them, i not fussed about the price. i've had bad experience with steel framed seats in the past. they always seem to rip and wear badly along the edges and the padding seems to fall apart and you get the bars digging into your ribs. the imola s's which i have weigh 7kg.

hmmm, ive never had any problems with mine, then again, there 2 years old, but only done about 5k miles lol lol

chimp007_uk
15-02-07, 09:59 PM
they'll be fine, the ones i've had before and in my mates kadett that we rallied were a few years old, and a pain in the a**e

Mike
15-02-07, 10:02 PM
they'll be fine, the ones i've had before and in my mates kadett that we rallied were a few years old, and a pain in the a**e

seats in rally cars always get fcuked! constantly getting in and out, without putting seat back (as seat should be in a fixed position with side mounts ONLY) and having to climb in between framework of cage, its asking for them to get mullered :D lol

chimp007_uk
15-02-07, 10:05 PM
i'm wondering how long the imola's are going to last in my manta, i have the doorbars to contend with and it being my daily car, it's going to get some wear. what do you mean by putting the seats back? tilting subframes?

Mike
15-02-07, 10:09 PM
sliding subframes like standard one's, to my knowledge they are now illegal as far as FIA regs go (or will be soon), along with base mount seats (which now HAVE to be side mounts as per FIA regs)

chimp007_uk
15-02-07, 10:19 PM
i know what you mean... the manta s the side mounting ones. i think for road rallying, base mounted ones are fine. thats what my mate ran.

i'm only going to be using the manta for track days at the mo, till i get to grips with rwd. was ment to be doing a scat in it tonight at uni, but up visiting my gf for valentines day still.

Adam
16-02-07, 12:30 AM
The Sparco sprints on peter lloyd's site look quite nice, not a bad price either.

Why do people not like base mount?

Ste L
17-02-07, 08:13 AM
As above.
Seen these on peter lloyd rallying, ?75 each, new, they seem quite good.
And wouldn't look bad totally in black.

Opinions?
http://peterlloydrallying.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=4&products_id=69&osCsid=5af64a9588b91f6e9ccf4abcfee9ea21

they are basically the same as cobra clubmans aint that?

Dar
17-02-07, 10:09 AM
Why do people not like base mount?

i've had bad experience with steel framed seats in the past. they always seem to rip and wear badly along the edges and the padding seems to fall apart and you get the bars digging into your ribs.

So in a nutshell :-

They wear quicker.
Rip easier and wear along the bars
Padding compresses allowing the bars to dig in
You sit higher
The seat is not as secure
They are heavier
They are bigger (Thicker)

However for a road or a budget track car they are fine. On the plus side. They are not fixed in one position so its easy to adjust the driving position(Because of the subframe) and they are much, much better than standard seats. Also alot cheaper than the side mount type. So im/where not saying they are rubbish, but rather that the side mounted ones are a much better choice.

Mike
17-02-07, 10:34 AM
So in a nutshell :-

They wear quicker.
Rip easier and wear along the bars
Padding compresses allowing the bars to dig in
You sit higher
The seat is not as secure
They are heavier
They are bigger (Thicker)

i have never ever had any of the above with mine tbh?

Chunky Lover
17-02-07, 01:30 PM
my Sparco REV are perfect a mate fixed up a bracket for them and there welded then to the chassis. good thing is there made from fibreglass so really lite and the cushions(which are very comfortable) are removable so if u need to clean em or replace em its only a cushion and not a whole seat. and i presume you wont be carrying passengers anymore?

Adam
17-02-07, 02:02 PM
they are basically the same as cobra clubmans aint that?
They look it yeah, but clubmans are more expensive.