PDA

View Full Version : Valve Stem Oil Seals

Anonymous
03-09-01, 12:49 PM
Can anyone help, I have just rebuilt my 1.3 head. New valves, seats etc and new oil seals. The only problem is im still getting blue smoke when you leave it idling, then rev it. Is there a certain way to seat the new valve oil seal??

Anonymous
03-09-01, 04:46 PM
tony might sound daft but why did u rebuild it, it will help us lot in the answer we give it could be a few reasons. Did u get the head skimmed was it burning oil before work done could be they are not seated right or head gasket not tight enough piston rings broke ????

Anonymous
03-09-01, 05:34 PM
sorry, head gasket had gone, was loosing water. When the head was off the valves where in a pretty bad state, so i had new seats and valves grinded in. So i change the valve seals as it was smoking a little b4. But it dosen't smoke under load, only after idling for a while

Anonymous
03-09-01, 08:14 PM
piston rings etc???

lancia delta or cossie? LANCIA!

Anonymous
03-09-01, 11:06 PM
Well, I know for one thing that when I rebuilt my 1600 head the new stem seals needed tapping in...they are tough little buggers.

Ben.

Anonymous
04-09-01, 09:19 PM
They can only go in one way and should be firmly pushed down on to the stem guide with something like a hammer handle to avoid damaging them.
Chances are that the bores are worn a bit as well.