PDA

View Full Version : 1.6 Nova GTE engine into 1.2 Nova

Anonymous
21-08-01, 02:36 PM
I hope you guys can help. I've started work on a project for a friend, he has a 1.2 Nova and we are going to fit a 1.6 GTE engine. I'll start by listing the parts that I have from the GTE and then ask a few Questions.

Engine, Engine mounts, Gearbox, Drive Shafts,
Complete exhaust system, Complete cooling system, Brakes, Anti roll bars, Suspension, Fuel pump, Fuel lines, Clutch cable, Throttle cable, Engine bay wiring loom, INCOMPLETE main wiring loom.

Q1 - Can the fuel tank in the 1.2 Nova be used? If not, why? Does the tank have to be from a GTE?

Q2 - How much of the wiring loom in the 1.2 must I change?
My plan is to use the GTE engine loom. Also, where it plugs into the main GTE loom, to remove the socket and attached wires from the main GTE loom and re-wire into the 1.2 Nova.
Can this be done?

Q3 - Am I over looking anything?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Cheers,
Micko.

Anonymous
21-08-01, 03:29 PM
Not sure, but I think the 1.2 one can't be used unless it was a 1.2i with the swirlpot(I know what one is now!!!) Also replace all the fuel lines with the high pressure ones from the GTE.
As for the wiring loom, ask Ste, he is king of wires!!!!

2.0 16v on its way soon!!!! :D

Anonymous
21-08-01, 03:43 PM
The fuel tank has to be used from the GTE as they have the fuel pump on them, where-as the 1.2 would have an engine mounted fuel pump (if it's a carb engine). My friend has done a 1.3 SR to GTE swap, inwhich he used mainly the SR loom, he only had to use the GTE for the engine bay loom (ECU etc.). Also you should uprate the brakes to GTE or higher -disc's, calipers & servo. Put on the GTE anti roll bar? im not sure if the 1.2 would have one. Thats all i can think of.

Anonymous
21-08-01, 04:22 PM
just use the gte injection loom and patch it into the 1.2 loom where need +12v and ground and fuel pump out etc

1.2i tanks are the neatest and cheapest

--- Novaload technical support open 24hrs ---
--- Phone/SMS Support 24hrs ---
--- Workshop services 6pm - 11pm Mon - Fri, 9am - 11pm Sat/Sun ---
--- 16v engine fitting advice ---

Anonymous
22-08-01, 07:57 AM
Cheers lads.

Ste,
when you say patch the gte injection loom into the 1.2 loom what do you mean? The injection loom has plugs to go onto a lot of sensors, oil pressure, water temp, into the head, the coil, the dizzy. Can all of these be patched into the 1.2 loom?

I am not great when it comes to wiring, so any and all help will be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Micko.

Anonymous
22-08-01, 08:56 AM
the engine will have it's own loom
and anything else is 1.2
just a few connections to make by the brake servo

--- Novaload technical support open 24hrs ---
--- Phone/SMS Support 24hrs ---
--- Workshop services 6pm - 11pm Mon - Fri, 9am - 11pm Sat/Sun ---
--- 16v engine fitting advice ---

Anonymous
23-08-01, 12:55 PM
I'm sorry for going on about this,
but how do I connect the gte engine loom into the 1.2 nova loom?
are these the few connections to be made by the brake servo?
if so, what do I connect the engine loom to?

cheers,
micko.

Anonymous
27-08-01, 08:16 PM
lol, tis easy m8, main live (big red), switched live, and ul need to fit new cables to run to the fuel pump at the back!
BTW i have a full gte setup in my garge(except for buggerd engine) if u need any parts!!

Anonymous
29-08-01, 11:25 AM
Cheers mate, I dont think i'll be travelling to the UK to get parts, i live in Dublin.
thanks for the offer mate.

Cheers,
Micko