PDA

View Full Version : To lower the car

Nova_Malta
10-02-07, 11:51 AM
Is it possible to grind the springs? what are the disadvantages? did someone tried that?

Dod
10-02-07, 11:54 AM
You can grind the front ones but they're ****. Makes the handleing aweful and knackers the shocks in no time. Lowering springs only cost around e120 new.

dannyb
10-02-07, 02:25 PM
Don't do it.

Driver
10-02-07, 05:02 PM
if you want to lower your car on a budget let the tyres down will prob handle better anyway :S

ade
10-02-07, 05:10 PM
dont grind springs - compromises their strength and will cost you more in the long run because if you leep standard shocks the pressure will be transferred into them and into your turrets.

Ebay - dirt cheap for a full spring/shock set - approx ?120. Or go to any motor factors/on line - get a set of gmax sports ones 60mm for under ?180!

mayhem
10-02-07, 05:44 PM
and if you don't grind them at the right place... you take a corner fast..you have a nova sliding on the roof. and we don't like that picture

Nova_Malta
11-02-07, 07:50 PM
Allright, Thanks people, I will buy a set of lowering springs.

JSeymour
11-02-07, 08:14 PM
dont cut springs. itl bounce and just be a **** ride even with uprated shocks.

you can get away with cutting rear springs if there stiffer with better dampers and there held in place safely.

rdanny
11-02-07, 09:16 PM
cut springs feel like you have bricks under the bonnet, just use a set of sport springs, or go the gsi or sr route

Chunky Lover
12-02-07, 06:53 PM
or heat them with a blow torch get a few heavy mates to sit on the car and they will contract as the cool down however i dont recommend this. just fork out the money if you go tricking about you may end up crashing out!

Nova_Malta
13-02-07, 09:28 AM
I was going to use grinded/heated springs till Summer, because I'm going to change the engine (diesel) and shocks gearbox etc... but if their is a possibility to crash, it's not worth it cutting them. My original springs are not good for diesel engines, that's why I didn't bother cutting them (I was going to let them cutting up by my panel beater/sprayer which at the moment it is in his garage).