PDA

View Full Version : ohhhhh no snaped exhaust stud.

benny f gsi,n it
09-02-07, 12:28 PM
hey i need a little help on how to remove a broken corrored exhaust manifold stud, but luckly it snapped off with some thread hangin out of the head. need to know the quickest and safest way of removing the stud?

Stoo
09-02-07, 12:32 PM
I did this a while back, had to change the manifold in the end!

I presume you mean the stud between manifold and downpipe, or do you mean a stud in the head???

benny f gsi,n it
09-02-07, 12:41 PM
stud into the head, got all new ones just gotta get 2 snapped 1s out.

Stoo
09-02-07, 12:45 PM
is there enough to put two nuts on it???

if so put two nuts on it and tighten them togethet and then undo it using the nut that went on first!

benny f gsi,n it
09-02-07, 12:48 PM
yer they is if i get 2 thin nuts but i was hearing if you haet the bolts up slightly they come out easy, or i was looking at a stud extractor on ebay atm.

Will F
09-02-07, 12:50 PM
Just ignore it, my XE has about 4 missing/snapped and it doesnt blow! lol

benny f gsi,n it
09-02-07, 12:52 PM
yer but i put the manifold back on as i thought i mit get away with it bit it ticks like a CLOCK lol so im gonna do it propper and replace all the studs while im at it.

Adam
09-02-07, 12:55 PM
How much is sticking out?

Give the end a small tap side to side with a screwdriver or something to try and loosen the thread.
Then get mole grips on the end.

Or, screw a nut on all the way it will go.
Clamp mole grips on the remaining thread(in front of the nut) and then turn the nut, hopefully the molegrips will stop the nut undoing and it will undo the whole thread.

Stoo
09-02-07, 12:56 PM
yeah heating it up may help!!

If you wanna get technical, heat the head and cool the stud and thatll be real easy!!

But honestly, use loads of penetrating oil too!

benny f gsi,n it
09-02-07, 12:56 PM
not much about 20-30mm might be unuff to get a set of grips on or twin nuts!

Adam
09-02-07, 12:57 PM
Try two nuts first, tighten them solidly together, then undo the back nut.

If you can't get two on, try the mole grips and one nut.

benny f gsi,n it
11-02-07, 05:13 PM
hey i have since removed the broken studs but now puttin the new ones in do you use any thread lock or just do them up propper tight into the head then manifold and nut on tight?

Adam
11-02-07, 06:01 PM
Just screw them in till they stop.
I always copper grease them to stop them shearing off the future.
Then fit the manifold and nut, they dont have to be mega tight, quite low torque actually. Think about 25/30Nm

benny f gsi,n it
11-02-07, 07:48 PM
ok thanks for the help
benny