PDA

View Full Version : CV boot

snapper
08-02-07, 08:42 PM
Is it an easy-ish job to change a CV boot? I need to do it for the MOT and the Haynes book of lies reckons I need to remove the driveshaft completely... :confused:

Jon_nova1
08-02-07, 08:49 PM
i thought it was a case of taking the cv joint out of the hub and getting a hammer to get the cv joint of the inner circlip?? failing that, you could always cheat and buy a dodgy boot that you glue around itlol

maccas
08-02-07, 09:04 PM
you don't need to remove the driveshaft completely, it would just be easier to work on if you did, you will need to jack up the car remove the wheel and put the car in fifth and get someone to apply the brakes so u can remove the nut that holds the driveshaft in the hub, then you have a choice, you can either remove the strut from the steering knuckle or remove the ball joint from the steering knuckle (strut is probably easier) this will give enough clearance for the driveshaft to be removed from the hub, the shaft might not move easily in the hub so you could put the nut back on the end of the shaft and hit it with a soft faced mallet, this should set it moving, once removed cut the old clips that hold the c.v boot on, now is the messy part, on the c.v joint (at the end nearest the gearbox) there is a circlip, use a screwdriver to expand it then the c.v join can be removed from the shaft, slide the small end of the new c.v boot onto the shaft (after removing excess grease from the shaft) and locate the boot in its special groove, fit the new clip on the shaft, then fit the c.v joint back on, this will just slide on then click in place as the circlip sits back in its groove, apply some more grease then fit the wide end of the rubber boot to the c.v joint, making sure it is square, this can be done by rotating the shaft and making sure the c.v boot is running true on the c.v joint, tighten clip, copper grease splined end of shaft and then build everything back up, hope that helps and makes sense

Chunky Lover
09-02-07, 05:24 PM
30mm deep socket,snips to cut the old boot and to break the old clip.
Easy enough job just take your time and if your unsure consult the book.

coombsey
09-02-07, 09:20 PM
i took the cv joint off from the hub side pair of circlip pliersundone tie rod and ball joint , i also took the split pin out and put two bolts back in let it down then undone the hub nut saves asking some one