PDA

View Full Version : loose head bolts on a 2ltr 16v

James P
08-02-07, 08:23 PM
i think i might of f**ked my head! i had it all in bits and done the cam belt and head gasket. brought the propper head bolts but i didnt really tighten the head bolts up correctly.

started the car up and it ran for a few minutes perfectly then it started miss fireing and when i put my foot down it felt restricted.. then it cut out and doesnt start easily..i dint drive the car very far.....

thought for a few moments it was something else then realised it must be the head bolts not beeing tight enough. there was a small bit of white smoke cuming out of the exhaust but after i tightened the bolts up correctly to there right torque it stopped.

ive been told it could of worped my head or f**ked the gasket again. is this true or does anyone know what i might have done wrong.

thanx for your time.

Jon_nova1
08-02-07, 08:28 PM
you've fu*ked the head gasket, i've done exactly the same, tightened the bolts, but not tightened them all the way, the head gasket went because the pistons were forcing the air and petrol out through the gasket, if you take the head off (which you'll inevitably need to do) you'll probably see its damaged, fit a new gasket and it should be ok aslong as you aint tried to keep the engine going long enough for the engine to warm up/overheat ;)

Austin_Nova16
09-02-07, 01:18 PM
How did you do them up then? I take it not correct way!
Haynes details the procedure, so look there.

Always remember to clean out the threaded holes in the bolck bofore putting the head.

coombsey
09-02-07, 03:26 PM
i have a head gasket it said on the packet to tighten up 25nm then 65' then 65' then another 65' after that it said warm up to a certain temp and do up another 30 to 40' mine has same sort of problem!!! the book says 25nm then 90' then 90' the another 90'

James P
09-02-07, 05:43 PM
yer after i realised my foolish mistake, i looked in the haynes manual and did it 25nm then 90-90-90. it stopped smoking but when i put my foot down it still feels restricted and was getting worse so i took it home and turned it off, then went to start it back up again and it dont start.... i think the water or oil is getting to the spark plugs???
also if it is the case that i need to get a new head gasket, then shall i get 1 of those metal one's?

thanx again appreciate the help........

coombsey
09-02-07, 08:41 PM
how did you tighten them up??

James P
09-02-07, 09:10 PM
torque rench wiv the click setting... done it properly!!!

coombsey
09-02-07, 09:14 PM
how tight tho?

Benn
09-02-07, 09:43 PM
did the bolts have washers on them?

James P
09-02-07, 11:50 PM
yer they were brand new head bolts wiv washers i followed the haynes manual step by step and wiv all the right torques...

i just wanted to know if wat i done wrong will cause perminent damage or if i just do the head gasket again it will solve my problem.!!!!!

novawez
10-02-07, 11:27 AM
did u do it like this http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h20/novawez/wezdiagram.gif

coombsey
10-02-07, 11:46 AM
that diagram is slightly drifferent to the 16v one in the book

novawez
10-02-07, 12:15 PM
is it sorry i didnt know if he did it in sequence

James P
10-02-07, 04:31 PM
just had a mechanic come round and cheack out my car and he said its been wired in wrong. apparently theres no power getting to the relay. and hes guna re-wire the whole lot for me...

so it wernt the head gasket after all, i suppose i was luck in this case..

thanx for all the advise.