PDA

View Full Version : Turbo conversion 1600sv

Anonymous
10-08-01, 04:31 PM
Hey, me and my mate r gonna attempt a home made turbo conversion on his 1600sv engine. was wondering if anyone has attempted this and/or has any information about it. Were thinkin bout gettin a R5turbo engine and tryin 2 fit the parts offa that ( with a few modifications obviously). Any info would be greatly appreciated!! Mail me Cheers :p

Anonymous
10-08-01, 07:13 PM
my mate has a supra engined carlton which hes gonna fit a volvo turbo to

he had a 2.0 pinto ford lump in there b4 with the volvo turbo so it will be no problam for him to fit the turbo to the supra engine (hes a bit mad u see)

hes also made sum water injection up from a old fuel injector and this works

his latest trick was the boost retard stuff he hooked up b4 the pinto engine blew its top

lesson is

anythings possible if your mad

Micky@novaload.net :)

Anonymous
13-08-01, 11:46 AM
SDhouldnt be hard, I know a guy who did it on a GTE engine using a turbo outta a RS turbo!

He was saying that the engine couldn't really handle it tho and the head gasket kept popping. He has now fitted a copper head gasket.

If you've got the 1.6 16v engine it should be ok, as long as u lower the compression and all that! Actually I think the Tigra's cum with a turbo on them and they are 1.6 16v mite be able to slap it straight on! Don't quote me on that tho, the tigra might be a 1700 lump.

As has been said above anything can be done, but you don't need to be mad, you just need big balls and a forkin load of patience!

Good luck mate.

You Know When You've Been Novataken!!!!!!!!

Anonymous
13-08-01, 12:02 PM
Tigra was 1.4 16v and 1.6 16v.

Right, the 2 main obsticles are compression and any sort of ECU.

Compression is easy. Either use 3 head gaskets normal/copper/normal to drop it to safe levels, or play around with pistons and stoke.

ECU is the hard bit, but I think the SV is carbed anyway, am I right? So u are going about it the right way by using an adapted 5gtt carb and turbo. If I`m wrong and u are injected, then things get tricky. My friend did the conversion himself, but had to get the ECU remapped by courtenay coz it wouldnt run properly. That cost ?700. ouch. Thats almost as much as my entire setup cost.

=\_____
=/__|__\_
=|(_)___(_)] "Q/ (Squirrel)

Whoopass! :D

The original footer, not a cheap immitation!

Anonymous
13-08-01, 01:09 PM
for the fueling on a 1.6 8v gte turbo u use a bmw fuel chip... easy :D

--- Novaload technical support open 24hrs ---
--- Phone/SMS Support 24hrs ---
--- Workshop services 6pm - 11pm Mon - Fri, 9am - 11pm Sat/Sun ---
--- 16v engine fitting advice ---

Anonymous
21-08-01, 11:25 PM
thanx for your advice guys, MC your right the 1600sv is carbed so i guess i shouldnt have to much problem. As for lowering the compression, any ideas? would a thicker head gasket do it? Also does anyone know how the R5 carb knows when to dump more fuel in as the turbo comes on boost? Cheers guys :p