PDA

View Full Version : engine managment on carbs

atokley
08-02-07, 01:29 PM
Hello,

Does anyone know what needs to be done wiring/managementwise to convert a fuel injected car to carbs?

Obviously the fuel pump would have to be changed to facet silver top and a filterking fuel regulator for the fueling side of things and can cut out the injector harness.

But what needs to be done with the ignition harness? Will the ecu still be able to control the ignition even tho i have disconnected the injector harness or will the ecu go mad and not run the ignition side of things at all (the ecu had a uni-chip piggyback).

If i need a seperate standalone ecu just to control ignition what systems are good/reasonable price to go for?

Also if i do have to remove the standard ecu and wiring to it will the clocks still work? what im really trying to say is, does the speed, oil pressure, water temp, revs etc that show on the clocks go thru the ecu first? so if i ditchet the ecu and wiring to it i would have no working clocks.

Thanks

Andy

craig green
08-02-07, 01:39 PM
what engine are you talking about?

Weber alpha, mega jolt, Omex to name a couple.

If its an 8v you can use a dizzy from a carb'd model but mapped ign is far far better.

SRI crazy
08-02-07, 01:53 PM
naw the ecu wouldnt work the carb engine ud need to change the loom and rewire the rev counter to coz in an injection it works thru the brain

Dan
08-02-07, 02:10 PM
what engine are you talking about?

Weber alpha, mega jolt, Omex to name a couple.

If its an 8v you can use a dizzy from a carb'd model but mapped ign is far far better.

(Again basing on 8v as no engine specified)

I'd probably argue that fact purely based on my own findings. budget depending, its a cost that can be avoided. i have never had any fuelling or tuning problems with my car and after recently taking it apart for a general inspection the internals confirm its been tuned and allowed an optimal burn.

I'm not saying that management is a waste, for the very fine tuning of things for the perfectionist i cant argue, but for the tiny gains i couldnt justify the cost when a 1.4sr dizzy setup was pennies lol.

I know what the masses say and preach, and on paper there is no contest but i have spent the last 3-4 years seeing what really is the score and my results go against some of what is generally spoken. Maybe its just a freak but it talks for itself

Adam
08-02-07, 02:45 PM
Yeah, the easy/cheap way is a 1.4sr dizzy/coil. Assuming its small block 8v
Only problem being its advance curve is setup for a 70bhp 1400 8v, not a 1650 140bhp engine... So it wont give the same gain as mappable ignition. How much of a gain that is, who knows..

But as said, does the job fine, and costs what... a tenner...?

Lee
08-02-07, 05:30 PM
Maybe its just a freak

BINGO lol

Dan
08-02-07, 07:40 PM
lltn as far as i am aware the curve only affects a small portion of lower down anyway which mine has no problems at all with. For a small amount this can be sorted as jim had done, but it was negligable at the end and only helped with his idle and just above side of things. This may have been due to the slightly different cam. I did enquire about it when i had mine checked after my three year wait between tunes and was questioned why i would need it after my hoped results were confirmed and told there was no point.

Lee lol like many you have seen it in the flesh and know my words are cast in stone. you know its right so it shows it is possible if setup right from the start

atokley
09-02-07, 06:18 PM
Sorry, Its a C20xe engine! If there are some detailed answers as to what i will need to wire to get the gte clocks fully functional when the ecu and wiring is removed then that would be great!

Cheers

mikey14sr
09-02-07, 07:36 PM
Mk2 cavalier 1.6 dizzy and coil will do the job then, can be hard to find though.

atokley
12-02-07, 04:11 PM
so i wouldnt need to get a seperate igniton ecu?

Adam
12-02-07, 06:29 PM
Nope, a mk2 cav ignition coil and dizzy will do the job.
Note i said "do" the job, its not the best option.

But certainly is the cheapest.