PDA

View Full Version : XE/LET Nova front Coilover length and poundage.

andybishop
07-02-07, 10:33 PM
Just fitting Spax RSX Coilover kit to the nova, anyone got any recommendation on what poundage and length springs to get. Going to get some custom made at coilsprings 89. Running 16" allesios, so need to ensure the platforms don't catch the tyres. I ran Avo's quite a while ago and had nothing but trouble with these.

Will F
08-02-07, 08:56 AM
I had the same trouble so ordered some custom ones... although I have no idea whatthey were! Sorry...

Is this common across all coilovers with allessios then?

Lee H
08-02-07, 09:09 AM
I had this problem too Andy and nothing but trouble with the Avo's.

I ended up going for 300lb springs that are 6" long so even when its low the platform clears the tyre. Standard coilover springs were 7" or 8".

Don't think normal coilover springs fit on Spax coilovers though as there is something different about them, I assume you are aware of this?

craig green
08-02-07, 12:45 PM
Better off with big piston Bilsteins & suitable custom coil springs by the sounds of it.
One of the ideas with coilovers is the slimmer dimensions & increased clearance. Obviously being run too low (for wheels & offset chosen).

MARTIN KELSON
08-02-07, 04:57 PM
Hi Andy

That car not finished yet!

I had RSX on mine few years ago and they were cr*p. Cant handle the weight of the 2ltr. The rough road leading to Santa Pod blew the seals out of them. Not good, made a right mess.

Sorry its not what you want to hear.

Martin

Chris
08-02-07, 05:05 PM
I have never heard anything good said about any Spax suspension (apart from chav's on crooze sites innit).

But going back to your original question Andy, I have some 350lb 6" long front springs to fit to mine when I can be ****d. I think 300lb will be just right for yours though. I had the same problems with the tyres catching when I put my slicks on.

Chris

andybishop
08-02-07, 05:54 PM
Since binning the Avos i've been running a Spax kit with shortened pistons, fixed height with no problems at all, and it handled mint. Managed to pick up the coilover kit cheap so thought i'd give them a go as my other stuff is so tatty now. Hmmmm what to do...

craig green
09-02-07, 09:27 AM
Go with what you know esp if you feel it handles right. IMO thats sometimes hard to achieve on a Nova, you know what issues Ive had & money Ive wasted on Nova suspension.

Have the dampers checked over by SPAX & get them repainted. Send the springs off for re-powder coating & it'll be up to your standards.

Will F
09-02-07, 09:30 AM
I have RSX on my 1600, and they are really good imo. At Llandow they were perfect and there was no roll or bouncing iunder breaking that other cars were suffering with... I have heard some bad stories about them and the build quality aint the best...

I have just bought some Gaz Coilovers... any comments?

Chris
12-02-07, 02:09 PM
I have just bought some Gaz Coilovers... any comments?

Yes, my mate bought some for his XE Corsa. He enquired about them as he just wanted them for rear adjustment, this was confirmed. He ordered.

They turned up late and were not adjustable at the rear, bit of arguing and he sent them back (at his cost), and some more arrived a couple of weeks later. Spot on, he got them fitted and when he went to adjust them on the front the adjuster snapped. Once again he sent them back (again at his own expense) and got some replacements, fitted them, the car hasnt even been on the road yet and they are leaking. Not sure what he is doing with them at the moment lol.

Chris