PDA

View Full Version : knocking noise

macc nova
05-02-07, 08:20 PM
Ive just started up my car after changing the head gasket, and there is quite a loud knocking noise :cry: (i think it sounds bottom end), i made sure when putting it back together that the camshaft pulley and crankshaft pulley were in the correct position, but after starting it i have just realligned them and the crankshaft pulley is out by about 1.5mm!

would this be the cause of my knocking? :thumb:

Adam
05-02-07, 08:25 PM
That knocking may have been valves clipping pistons.

Or if its more of a tapping, perhaps the lifters have drained of oil slightly.

macc nova
05-02-07, 08:27 PM
its definately more of a knocking than a tapping, how would i fix this? by realligning the pulleys again?

macc nova
06-02-07, 11:05 AM
anybody???

Stuart
06-02-07, 11:35 AM
re tiem the engine and try again. It was probably just stumbling as opposed to knocking due to the timing being way out...

macc nova
06-02-07, 12:57 PM
is it possible that because ive had the head skimmed that the tappets arnt working as they were??

Stuart
06-02-07, 01:17 PM
doubtfull tbh.

just time the engine up right and try again.

macc nova
06-02-07, 01:49 PM
ive just tried it again and the noise is still there. ive just rung up the engineer and he says that the hydro lifters might have been drained and just to run it untill it go's away!

Adam
06-02-07, 03:44 PM
In my experience of doing Hg, the lifters quiten down within about 10secs tbh.
I've only had noisy lifters for longer than that when doing a full head swap with newly cleaned lifters etc.

macc nova
08-02-07, 10:29 AM
right ive just had a call off the engineer and hes says that everything is fine, but the autofactors has supplyied me with the wrong head gasket :roll: , so the pistons are catching on that slightly making the noise! lol

Lee
08-02-07, 05:27 PM
I had that problem with my Golf GTi! Your lucky you found it that quick, i replaced fecking everything before I found the problem

Never trust TSR, bunch of noobs lol