PDA

View Full Version : atb into f28, fitting costs?

doug_sri
05-02-07, 06:51 PM
Anyone had this done and if so how much and where was it done?

Cheers

Philsutton
05-02-07, 07:28 PM
depends how you do it, with all diffs you want to fit new speedo ring, bearings and seals these cost about ?100 from vauxhall last time we did one. Then there is the machining of the bell housing to fit the bearing carrier

doug_sri
05-02-07, 09:40 PM
depends how you do it, with all diffs you want to fit new speedo ring, bearings and seals these cost about ?100 from vauxhall last time we did one. Then there is the machining of the bell housing to fit the bearing carrier

machining of the bellhousing? I did have the diff fitted and covered around 50miles but I made it to tight and one of the bearing broke so I have decided to get it done properly this time.
Will get new bearings from vauxhall, and the seals have not done many miles and what speedo ring should I use? Was just using the one that came in my F16 when i bought my 2.0 nova before.

Philsutton
05-02-07, 09:48 PM
yep you want to use the F16/F20/F18 speedo ring and drive anyway, as the f28 one will give a wrong reading.
How have you done yours? On mine an a few customers we got the f20 bearing carrier that bolts on the bellhousing with 5 bolts (you also use this when doing a fwd conversion, but this time keep the whole lot i.e dont just use the plate use.) This obviously doesnt sit into the F28 as the hole where the transfer box used to sit if a smaller diameter, so this now needs to opened out so that the bearing carrier / end plate can now recess in the box. The other side is fine that holds the diff alright. Only thing is you cant really pre load the diff as like in the f20's ect... but never got one wrong doing it this way.

doug_sri
06-02-07, 09:13 AM
when i did mine I used the bearing spacer from quaife, was around ?28 delivered i think which meant that the big bearing in the f28 went straight on. http://www.quaife.co.uk/Vauxhall-Calibra-F28-spacer-4WD-to-2WD I then measured the standard diff and bearings to get the size of spacer i needed and had one made up at an engineering company but I must have got it a bit wrong as it was to tight which is why the bearing failed i think

doug_sri
06-02-07, 09:14 AM
also i fitted a regal 2wd conversion kit to mine